Pictures from the Past

editorial image
0
Have your say

STELLA and May staying in Dowling Avenue, Monkseaton, in August 1928 wrote to Mrs Blair in Bo’ness, Scotland that the weather in Whitley was much warmer than at home.

They sent her this tinted card showing the Spanish City surrounded by bright little shops, where trade directories from the time list businesses in Whitley Park Road, as it was then called: Maynards on the corner; Hately & Co, fancy goods; Parnham, tobacconist; Mrs Bowman’s fruit shop; Bertorelli Ices and R J Wiles, pork butcher’s around the Whitley Pleasure Gardens and Picture House.

One of those shopkeepers, Mr Tom Hately enjoyed celebrating his 80th birthday in August 1942, which was reported in the Whitley Seaside Chronicle, when he was still carrying on business at the time as a newsagent, confectioner and fancy goods dealer in Whitley Road.

Mr Hately was a former president of Whitley Bay Rotary Club and members of the club sent birthday greetings to him.

Mrs Margaret Hately died in Morpeth Cottage Hospital in 1940 after a long illness and was buried in Whitley Bay Cemetery.

She had been a member of the local Inner Wheel (women’s section of the Rotary Club) since it began.

The couple had celebrated their golden anniversary in December 1935, having been married in Christ Church, Jarrow, in 1885.

They moved to Whitley from Jarrow between 1891 and 1901, and the 1911 Census shows them living in Delaval Road with five children, the eldest two Thomas Spoors and Florence Margaret both listed as shop assistants, although Thomas senior is down as a tailor.

Anyone with further information can call (0191) 643 5270 or email local.studies@northtyneside.gov.uk