Reading your article on Adele Joicey, ‘Adele thanks staff who saved her life’ (News Guardian, September 18), gave me quite a shock as how dangerous sepsis can be.
It happened to me on August 7 and I was admitted to A&E in the early hours of August 8.
Like Adele, it started with a headache, I took some painkillers and went off to bed.
Some time later I woke up shaking uncontrollably, I called out for my wife who came to see what was wrong.
I remember very little that took place. I do remember being violently sick (a first for me) also being absolutely drenched in perspiration (sweat where I come from).
Joan didn’t waste any time calling 999. Paramedics checked me out, the only thing I remember was my temperature was 39.1. The Paramedics decided to admit me to North Tyneside General Hospital.
It turned out I had sepsis. I was treated with antibiotics and allowed to return home four days later.
I’ve had other problems since and was on antibiotics for a number of weeks. Pleased to say I’m off them now.
At the end of Adele’s article she said “If I had gone to bed as planned I’d probably be dead.” That’s when it hit home how lucky I’d been.
Lots of hugs and kisses to my wife Joan.
A huge thank you, with a few hugs, to the paramedics, A&E, ECU,Ward 18, not forgetting all the staff in microbiology. Who also work 24/7.