Businessman angry as banners are cut down

Village Auctions at Benton staff members Angela Richardson and Matthew Dixon seen with the banner ad the Council asked to be taken down from outside their premises.'REF 1607131772
Village Auctions at Benton staff members Angela Richardson and Matthew Dixon seen with the banner ad the Council asked to be taken down from outside their premises.'REF 1607131772
1
Have your say

A businessman has slammed North Tyneside Council after it cut down one of his advertising hoardings.

Malcolm Barry, of Village Auctions on the Newcastle Business North Tyne Industrial Estate in Benton had placed specially designed banners on the railings leading to the business park.

But they were cut down by council officials and he was accused of fly-posting by local authority staff.

He said: “I didn’t get the banner back until Monday.

“It’s theft and criminal damage.

“These have been professionally made to promote my business and they should be encouraging it.”

Mr Barry has been operating the business for just two months and said he was angry the banners had been described as a traffic hazard, and said they were expensive toproduce and sliced off by the council.

A spokesperson for North Tyneside Council confirmed they removed around 25 unauthorised banners belonging to businesses in the area.

They said: “We make every effort to support local businesses, however, when advertising banners are displayed without permission we have a duty to take action against what is essentially a form or fly-posting.

“Banners displayed in an uncontrolled way next to the highway can often appear unsightly but, more importantly, can also cause a distraction to motorists. Businesses on this industrial estate have been advised in the past that we would lawfully remove their banners if they continued to display them.”