Family say new home is like winning lottery

Mayor Norma Redfearn, Chloe Van Dam, Kevin Van Dam, Michelle Van Dam, Mike Furze, and Coun John Harrison.
Mayor Norma Redfearn, Chloe Van Dam, Kevin Van Dam, Michelle Van Dam, Mike Furze, and Coun John Harrison.

A family say their new home is like winning the lottery after moving in.

Michelle and Kevin Van Dam, and their two-year-old daughter Chloe, are set to move from a two-bedroom terraced house to a spacious state-of-the-art bungalow created by North Tyneside Council.

Michelle, a wheelchair user, had been finding it difficult living in a terraced house and moved into the £1m Bude Court development in Battle Hill on Tuesday.

Within the development, three bungalows have been sensitively adapted to make life easier for their residents, and six flats built as well.

Michelle said: “I absolutely love our new bungalow and we’ve been so excited to move in – it’s like winning the lottery.

“Our previous house was quite small, which made day-to-day living difficult for me, and it had a through-floor lift for my wheelchair.

“With our new bungalow all being on one level, it makes it easier to be a mum to Chloe; I can take her outside to play and move around our home much more easily.”

Mayor Norma Redfearn and Coun John Harrison, cabinet member for Housing and Transport, were on hand over the keys to the Van Dam family.

Mrs Redfearn said: “I would like to wish Michelle, Kevin and Chloe happiness in their wonderful new home – to hear what a difference it will make to their family life is extremely heart-warming.

“I’d also like to wish the other residents moving into their new homes on Bude Court all the best.”

“We’re extremely pleased with the development – all the homes are contemporary, inviting and designed with residents in mind.”

Coun Harrison added: “Demand for affordable housing – particularly for bungalows, single-bed properties and family homes is high – which is why we’ve made a commitment to building 3,000 extra affordable properties.

“Our affordable homes project is progressing well and we’re on track to reach 500 by this spring.”

The development at Bude Court includes three three-bedroom bungalows; three two-bedroom flats and three one-bedroom flats.

The homes have been designed and built by Kier North Tyneside, on behalf of the council.

Kier regional director, Mike Furze, said: “We are proud to have delivered this bespoke project, which will be of significant benefit to local residents for years to come.

“By working in partnership with our colleagues at North Tyneside Council on their affordable homes programme, we are making a real difference to improving the quality of housing for residents across the borough.”

Each bungalow has been fitted with domestic sprinklers, which have been partially funded by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.