DCSIMG

Anger as memorial left inaccessible

Shiremoor War Memorial-unsightly fencing and covered with rubbish.
REF 0408142344

Shiremoor War Memorial-unsightly fencing and covered with rubbish. REF 0408142344

Council bosses have apologised after a war memorial was inaccessible during the First World War commemorations.

Residents in Shiremoor were left shocked after fencing remained around the memorial while black bin bags littered the site.

One resident, who asked not to be named, said: “It’s just appalling. It’s a disgrace the way it looks.

“The country is remembering 100 years since the start of the First World War yet this memorial looks a tip.”

A North Tyneside Council spokesperson said: “Our contractors Kier North Tyneside had informed us that the fencing would be removed from the Shiremoor memorial last week in time for Monday’s anniversary. We are deeply sorry that this did not happen.”

A Kier North Tyneside spokesperson said: “We are very sorry that the resident had problems accessing the Shiremoor War Memorial.

“We had instructed our subcontractor to remove the fencing the week before and we are extremely disappointed that this didn’t happen.

“Although we trusted that this had been done, it was our responsibility to check, so we have apologised to the resident for any distress caused.

“We are genuinely sorry for this error in the lead up to an important anniversary.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page