Plans for hundreds of homes take step closer

An artist impression of new homes proposed by Story Homes in Backworth.
An artist impression of new homes proposed by Story Homes in Backworth.
0
Have your say

Plans to build hundreds of homes on open space have taken a step closer.

Story Homes, which has teamed up with Northumberland Estates, and Miller Homes have both drawn up proposals for ‘executive’ homes in Backworth.

And at their meeting on Tuesday, members of North Tyneside Council’s planning committee approved outline plans for 380 homes west of Station Road and east of the A19.

The applications – for outline plans on the layout, scale and appearance – was for 200 homes, by Miller Homes, and a further 180 new houses by Story Homes adjacent to The Pavilion pub, just off the A186 Shiremoor bypass.

The 200 dwellings proposed by Miller Homes would be a mix of two, three, four and five-bedroom properties, with 50 being affordable.

The proposals by Story Homes are also for two- three, four and five-bedroom properties, with the 45 two and three-bedroom homes being affordable.

Speaking earlier this year, Steve Errington, chief executive of Story Homes, said: “We are delighted to be working with Northumberland Estates on this prestigious development.

“We are looking forward to delivering a development with the standards customers expect of Story Homes.”

Colin Barnes, director at Northumberland Estates, said: “We are pleased to be working with Story Homes, and think that the site at Backworth Park will set a high standard for development within the A19 corridor.”

“This part of North Tyneside is critical to the economic success of the region providing high quality houses alongside major employment areas with good services and public transport.”

Northumberland Estates originally obtained planning consent in November 2013 for a development of up to 590 residential dwellings, new primary school and separate building for local community use, with the residential element being split in to three lots.