Robert receives award for fire rescue bravery

Robert Lee and watch manager Steve Walker.

Robert Lee and watch manager Steve Walker.

0
Have your say

A ten-year-old schoolboy from Wallsend has been presented with a bravery award for saving someone’s life during a house fire back in June.

Robert Lee was walking along Sandown Gardens in Howdon to his breakfast club at Denbigh Primary School on Thursday, June 19, when he heard a smoke alarm going off.

Robert said: “It was my tenth birthday and I was excited about seeing all my friends at breakfast club.

“When I walked past a house I could hear the loud screeching noise from a smoke alarm.

“I ran right up to the window and I could see a woman lying there.

“We had a talk from firefighters at our school at the beginning of the summer and I remembered that they said you need to act quickly and ask someone with a phone to call 999.

“I turned around and saw a lady at the side of the road, so I ran to her and asked her to call the fire service.”

The control room at Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service received the call at 7.58am and two fire appliances arrived at the scene, along with other emergency services, within minutes of taking the call.

When crews arrived the fire had extinguished itself, but the property was still smoke logged.

The lady was unconscious and paramedics administered first aid at the scene before she was taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle for further treatment.

After a short hospital stay, she returned home to recuperate.

And Robert was this week presented with the prestigious Meritorious Conduct award on behalf of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Authority.

The organisation’s chairman, Coun Tom Wright, presented the award.

Coun Wright said: “I would personally like to thank Robert on behalf of the fire authority for acting so quickly.

“His actions definitely helped to save this lady’s life and he thoroughly deserves this distinguished award.”

Robert’s mother, Jacqueline Ann Lee, added: “I am still close to tears when I think about how brave he was and how quickly he asked for help.

“I think I must be the proudest mam in Tyne and Wear.”

Fire authority member, Coun Carole Burdis, added: “The fire authority fully supports the service’s school fire safety education programme across Tyne and Wear.

“This incident has definitely highlighted how important it is to teach children at a young age what to do in the event of a fire.”