SATURDAY, September 4, 1909 was not the best of days.
It rained at intervals throughout the morning and it was not until the afternoon that the sun struggled out from behind the clouds, to shine intermittently upon the ceremony of the laying of the foundation stone of St Luke's Parish hall, Wallsend.
A long report appeared in the Wallsend Herald on September 10 recording the events of the preceding Saturday.
Before a large gathering of parishioners, who had braved the rain to attend, Alderman George B Hunter presided over the laying of the foundation stone of the new hall.
The project had long been close to the heart of the previous incumbent, the Rev O'Brady Jones, but it had been left to Canon Nicholson to see it through.
The first half of the hall was designed by Frank Caws, Steele & Caws of Sunderland, who suggested building in concrete blocks to save costs.
The hall, measuring 52 feet by 31 feet was to hold the Ladies' Parlour, and a Sunday School classroom, with a kitchen and lavatories to the rear.
The postponed section was intended to have a small hall for 100 people, and on the floor above, a billiard room with two tables and a games room.
At the southwest corner there was provision for a caretaker's house, with two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and boxroom. It was stated that a total of 1,700 was needed to complete the work.
The contractor was John Lant, Tyne Quarry, Walker Road, with the plumbing being carried out by Thomas Heddely of Wallsend.
If anyone has further information ask for Local Studies on (0191) 200 5424 or leave a message at any branch of the North Tyneside Libraries.