Gunner go through in cup after extra time

THE weekend saw the first round of two cup competions take place in the Standard Security Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League.

In the George Davision Cup, Blyth Masons just failed to take their tie at home to North Shields Gunner into extra time.

The Masons took an early lead but they had a mountain to climb in the last 20 minutes.

They found themselves 4-1 down with strikes from Aaron Langlands, Steve Gillespie (2) and Mark Taylor for The Gunner.

But a spirited comeback from the home side brought it to 3-4 but The Gunner held on to reach the next round.

In the Alan Davison Cup their were wins for Blyth Comrades and Marden Residents.

Comrades won 3-0 at South Beach while Marden had to fight all the way before edging out New Hartley 4-3 on penalties.

The scores were locked together at 2-2 after extra time with Chris Small and Ira Tilley on target for Marden.

The premier division saw Burradon and New Fordley beat Whitley Bay Cibos by 5-2 with goals from Danny Young (2), Michael Chilton, Connor Andrews and Paul Alexander.

Elliott Evans scored both goals for the Cibos.

Milbourne Arms went down at home 7-2 against Ashington Mortimer with Scott Westaway and Scott Brothrick on target for Milbourne.

Newbiggin were made to fight all the way to gain the victory at home against The Eagle as they held on to a slender 1-0 advantage and had to play some of the game with nine players after having two sent off.

Division one saw Ashington Grand overpower visitors Rockcliffe Arms 8-2. Jonny Storrey Jay Hussain scored for the visitors.

Blyth Seahorse got their league programme off to a winning start with a 4-0 scoreline at home to Ashington White House.

Cowpen Percy Arms came unstuck at home in a smash and grab by Monkseaton Arms with Liam Hudson the hero for the visitors

High Street continued their winning start to the season with a 6-1 win at home against neighbours New Delaval and Newsham.

It looks like Ashington Rohan Kanhai face a long season.

The division two newcomers went down 18-0 at home to Bedlington Community.

North Shields Royal Arms won again, this time 3-1 away to Blagdon Arms. Goals for Arms came from Alan Batiste (2) and Alan Ryder.

Cramlington Phoenix picked up their first points of the season with a win at home against Blyth Ridley Park in a 5-1 win.

Ashington Central beat the Black Diamond by the odd goal in three while West Allotment and Ashington Bubbles shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw, with Scott Purcell and Kevin Davison on target for Allotment.