Percy Main give a good account of themselves in cup defeat

Percy Main exited the Northern Alliance League Cup at the first hurdle.

Badly hit by injuries and unavailability, they went down to their first defeat of the season at the eighth time of asking at the hands of premier division side Northbank.

The management team of Richard Nugent and Danny Nelson were forced to name themselves among the substitutes as Steven Hart, Jamie Walton and Andy Smith were drafted into the side for their first appearances of the season.

Last season Main lost 3-2 at The Sheepmount against the Gunners as the home side had scored all three goals within a devastating ten minutes spell.

And there were similarities this time around as Northbank scored twice within a minute in the run up to half-time to effectively seal the tie.

However, those who represented the Villagers gave a good account of themselves, and perhaps with a little more luck in front of goal and some better finishing, may have on another day got themselves something from the game.

A couple of those chances came within the first ten minutes as firstly James Leggett headed over and minutes later joint top scorer Sam Thompson found himself one-on-one with the Northbank goalkeeper but scuffed his shot as the visitors made the early running.

Reece Dobie in Main’s goal saved well, but Northbank went ahead on 40 minutes as Dobie saved but Rikki Lee James was first to the rebound and slotted home the opening goal.

Only a minute later the home side doubled their lead as Cameron Wilson floated a free kick from just outside the area over the wall and beyond the reach of Dobie.

Percy Main threw themselves a lifeline in first half stoppage time as Chris Laidlaw’s clever flick found Dan Sneap who, still left with much to do, ran on to round the stricken goalkeeper before rolling the ball home.

It gave the visitors hope, who trudged off at half-time to a one goal deficit which was perhaps against the run of play.

Sneap tried to start the second half as he had finished the first, but his shot from a corner was just off target.

But Dobie was on his mettle as Northbank looked to extend their lead.

Another good chance came and went for Main on the hour as Thompson fired over, while Ant Ridley, pushing forward, fired straight at the goalkeeper.

Those misses were to prove costly for Percy Main as Northbank made the game safe on 74 minutes as Tom Lucock fired home a low free kick which just crept inside Dobie’s post.

Percy Main will now take their place in the Bill Gardner Cup along with those other sides which went out of the league cup competition last Saturday, with a first round tie on November 15.

The ties are still to be drawn, meanwhile Main will return to league matters this Saturday and will face Newcastle University at Purvis Park, kick off is 2.30pm.