Tynemouth caged by Hetton Lyons

Tynemouth skipper Ben Debnam's leading example was not enough to save his side.
Tynemouth skipper Ben Debnam's leading example was not enough to save his side.
Have your say

Tynemouth’s NEPL campaign suffered a setback when they were convincingly defeated at Hetton Lyons on Saturday.

The hosts batted first and recorded a competitive 241-6 with good knocks from each of their first three batsmen.

Openers G Scott 41 and A Worthy 74 were backed up by 82 from R Pringle.

Tynemouth’s opening strike pair of David Hymers 0-29 and Finn Lonnberg 0-21 contained but could not penetrate

Andrew Smith with 1-44 claimed Scott with an lbw decision but Tynemouth failed to make significant in-roads to the Lyons innings until the latter stages.

Ruhan Pretorious 2-51, Phil Morse 2-58 and sixth bowler Graeme Hallam 1-29, including Worthy stumped by Matt Brown, were the other takers.

The Tynemouth reply saw the loss of three quick wickets with each of Nick Armstrong, Ben McGee and Andrew Ireland failing to trouble the scorers, and then the Pretorious entry needed only a single stroke of the pencil.

Meanwhile, skipper and opener Ben Debnam remained defiant and scored a creditable 40.

Wickets continued to fall and Tynemouth’s poor total of 94 could have been worse but for 16 from Brown and 13 not out from Hymers.

L Kumar did the early damage with 4-15 and Pringle with 3-19 completed the simple task to give Lyons their pride.

After a good start against Durham Academy, this was especially disappointing for the new look Tynemouth team.

Next up on Saturday is a home tie with Gateshead Fell, which offers a good chance of a victory if conditions permit.

The second team fixture at Preston Avenue was shortened following lunchtime rain which meant neither side could force a result.

Skipper Andrew Lineham won the toss and inserted the visitors, Hetton Lyons.

Tynemouth should have had a wicket with their third ball when veteran Russell Perry induced an edge, only to see a simple catch dropped at second slip off Dawson.

The opener took advantage as he and partner Coughlin then added a half century partnership.

It was spinner Jamie Coates who finally made the breakthrough, taking a return catch to remove Dawson for 34.

Coates struck again having Talbot caught by Tony Turner at cover.

Ryan Macciocchi then trapped Coughlin lbw for 36 and bowled Marchant for eight.

Hutton was then brilliantly run out by Turner for 20 to leave the innings tottering.

Perry returned for the final overs and accounted for Grimwood lbw for 20 and Adey caught at the wicket by Chris Fairley for nine.

Tony Lion accounted for Watson for three, leaving Hetton on 158-8 off their 45 overs.

Perry took 2-34 off 12 overs, Lion 1-32 off seven, Macciocchi 2-30 off 12 and Coates 2-40 off 12. The effort was not helped by six missed chances in the field.

In reply, openers Andrew Davison and Coates played aggressively, putting on 50 for the first wicket.

Three quick wickets then fell with Davison (35), Coates (15) and Turner (6) all falling in quick succession.

Fairley made a breezy 21 and skipper Lineham nicked a rising delivery having made only three.

Chad Koen was then bowled for nine and Sam Robson went for two, negating any chance of a home run chase.

Macciocchi made ten before being trapped lbw leaving old stagers Lion (9 not out) and Perry (5 not out) to see out the last seven overs for the draw and extra batting point as Tynemouth recorded 120-8 off 40 overs.

For Hetton, Adey finished with 3-27 and Grimwood 4-28. Tynemouth took eight points from the game to Hetton’s 13.

Disappointingly, both of the third team fixtures were washed out on Sunday.

In the Go North East Mid-Week League, Tynemouth’s C Division team suffered a narrow defeat at Ponteland.

The hosts recorded 108-5 off their 18 overs with Tony Lion 5-1-22-3 and Richie Hay 5-0-24-2 taking the wickets, assisted by a stumping by the alert Gary Straughan and catches from James Carr and Andrew Lineham.

Ponteland had put on 59 for the first wicket from the bowling of Rick Handa 3-0-24-0 and Dan Storey 3-0-15-0.

Tynemouth’s reply started well with Carl Salvidge 36 and Carr 23 putting on 40 for the first wicket before the loss of Carr.

With the score on 62, Andrew Davison fell for 13 and at 78 Lineham went for nine.

Despite a late flurry of 11 runs from skipper Lee Reed, Tynemouth ended four runs short at 104-5 with Salvidge the fifth wicket to fall.