During the Civil War the congregation was unable to use the church at Tynemouth Priory, and from 1650 it was meeting at Ralph Gardner’s malt-kiln at Chirton.
A new church was decided upon in 1652 and the Duke of Northumberland granted a site in 1654.
The Quarter Sessions levied a tax upon the whole county in 1658 for the building of a new church, and in the following year the churchwardens made out an agreement with Robert Morley, the builder.
The Christ Church building was consecrated on July 5, 1668. At that time the building was a very plain cross shape, without a tower.
As the congregation increased extra seating was needed and a number of enlargements were carried out, beginning with a gallery at the north side in 1696, and another at the east in 1703.