ON October 23, 1903, local Freemasons celebrated the Consecration of Tynemouth Abbey Lodge No. 2971 by the provincial grand master, Viscount Ridley.
During the several years of the lodge’s existence, many charitable causes received assistance and support, especially during the First World War, when, for example, it was recorded that the members contributed 50 guineas to the Belgian Relief Fund.
In 1915, a parcel to the value of five shillings was sent to each brother on active service.
In 1919, it was agreed that the sum of £100 be donated to the Tynemouth Victoria Jubilee Infirmary to furnish a new side ward, to be named after the lodge, as a memorial to those members who had fallen in the war.
Other worthy causes included Tynemouth Dispensary and St Dunstan’s Home.
The lodge moved to the Masonic Hall in Albion Road in 1930, where it continued to meet for many years.
The photograph shows members of the lodge on the occasion of its Golden Jubilee in 1953.
Among the principal officers shown are Robert W King, master, John M Johnston, secretary and Philip J Smith, treasurer.
Also included are R B Freeman, J Z Davison, E H Croad, L Thompson, W Slater and H S Robinson.
Local studies occasionally gets enquiries regarding the history of local freemasonry.
But the provincial librarian is usually able to answer any questions and can be contacted at the John S Stephenson Library and Museum, Neville Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1SY, preferably in writing.
If anyone has any further information, please contact Local Studies at North Shields Library on (0191) 643 5270 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org