Rechabite Hall, pictured, stood on the west side of Camden Street, above Camden Alteration Centre and next door to the Shaving Saloon, where the multi-storey car park behind the Bedford Shopping Centre now stands.
The Independent Order of the Rechabites was a friendly society formed in 1835 as part of the temperance movement, insisting on total abstinence from alcoholic beverages.
The Port of Tyne Pilot newspaper of April 17, 1941 reported that on the previous Tuesday the North Shields Teetotallers and members of the Rechabite ‘tents’ of the local area walked through the main streets of the town in a half mile long procession. They took tea at various schools and chapels on the way and then held a meeting, crowded into the Primitive Methodist Chapel, lead by Rev J D Carrick the president of the North Shields Teetotal Society, which went on until 10pm.
The first meeting of the Temperance Society, the Independent Order of Rechabites in the newly formed North & South Shields District was held in South Shields in August 1841.
In 1958 A C Badger was one of three branch secretaries honoured for 50 years service.
In 1959 J S Carr was elected District Chief Ruler and won an award in 1963 for his efforts in securing new members.
A compulsory purchase order was served on the Camden Street buildings in 1967.
A new book showing photographs of changing North Shields, produced by Local Studies staff, can be purchased from North Tyneside Libraries.
If anyone has any further information please ask for Local Studies at North Shields Library on (0191) 643 5270 or email firstname.lastname@example.org