Adaptors at risk of causing electric shock
Hundreds of dangerous electrical items have been seized by Trading Standards.
Officers from North Tyneside Council’s trading standards team found hundreds of adaptors in a warehouse in the Benton area used to charge Apple devices as well as universal travel adaptors for charging laptops and mobile phones.
Some adaptors, imported from China, were tested and found to be dangerous, with a high risk of an electric shock.
Trading standards officers removed all the devices and are now carrying out enquiries into their importation.
Coun John Harrison, cabinet member for housing and transport, said: “The safety and wellbeing of our residents is a top priority for the council.
“I welcome this work. Lives would certainly have been put at risk if these dangerous electrical items ended up being used by the public.”
A spokesman for trading standards added: “These were dangerous products.
“The AC adaptors breached safety regulations because the manufacturer’s name or brand was not displayed; there was inadequate insulation between the primary and secondary circuits – this greatly increases the risk of electric shock; the electrical conductors were only connected via solder; and the three pins were too long.”
“The universal travel adaptors breached safety regulations because the manufacturer’s name or brand was not displayed; the input frequency was not displayed; and the three pins were too long.”
The trading standards service is delivered on behalf of the council by its partner Capita.