Bainbridge nets twice in North Shields defeat

Consett 3-2 North Shields

Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 9:10 am
Updated Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 9:15 am

Gareth Bainbridge’s double wasn’t enough for North Shields as they slipped to a narrow defeat at Consett.

Like Saturday, Bainbridge once again handed Shields the lead, 10 minutes in.

Shields looked relatively comfortable but the treacherous first-half conditions meant the Robins, through no fault their own, could never be sure of being fully in control.

And that proved to be the case when Christopher Rogan hit an equaliser on the edge of half-time.

Consett momentarily had taken the lead, a minute after the restart, before Bainbridge instantly fired Shields level.

The breathtaking start the second-half continued as Kyle Hayes guessed the right way from Michael MacKay’s spot-kick.

However, the penalty save failed to spur the Robins on as Jordan Lavery’s strike on 66 minutes proved to be the winner.

Brian Smith made two changes to his side that impressively beat West Auckland on Saturday. Gary Ormston and David Henderson replaced Paul Robinson and James Luccock.

Bainbridge was again on hand to open the scoring.

Dean Holmes’ pace stretched the Consett defence – he then picked out Ryan Carr before the stand-in wideman put it on a plate for Bainbridge.

The Robins adapted better to the poor weather as Lee Mason, Carr and Bainbridge continued to link up well to force a good low save from Ross Coombe on 29 minutes.

It had taken 33 minutes for MacKay to register Consett first shot on target as the home side began to grow in confidence.

Still, Coombe had to be on his toes to stop Holmes’ powerful effort before his defender came to the rescue to block Mason’s sliding rebound effort.

Adam Knowles struck a long distance effort that just crept past the post on 41 minutes, which was a sign of things to come.

A few minutes later, Roger levelled when he picked out the bottom corner.

It was a soccer punch for Smith’s men, who probably deserved a half-time lead.

The disappointment of Consett’s equaliser was seemingly still on the mind of the Shield player as the hosts went in front, just a minute in.

Hayes had initially saved brilliantly from MacKay – tipping his effort onto the bar – however, no one was there to clear the follow up as Dowson headed in.

But to the visitors’ credit, they equalised within five minutes with an eye of the needle pass by Ormston making the goal.

Ormston fed a stunning ball through to Bainbridge, who took it in his stride and lifted the ball over Coombe.

The early second-period drama continued as Jordan Summerly fouled in the area - referee David Carr pointed to the spot.

MacKay stepped up but Hayes stretched the correct way to keep out the striker’s penalty.

However, the penalty save unfortunately only briefly preserve Consett’s lead, who were emerging as the better side with the heavy rain lessening.

The visitors were under the cosh as only the bar denied Daniel Hawkins – before captain Kevin Hughes was forced off through injury.

Richard Pell, fresh from his short loan move, joined the heart of the defence, though his first bit of involvement was to see Lavery give the hosts the advantage.

Lavery, under no challenge, ran towards the 18-yard line before unleashing his shot into the corner on 66 minutes.

MacKay should have put the game to bed on 13 minutes when he was found free in the box, but Summerly done enough to distract the attacker.

With just under 10 minutes left to go, Paul Robinson and Joe Kerridge joined the action in hope of drawing the Robins level but the home side deservedly held out in what was a fantastic second-half display.