Big eight wicket loss for Tyne

After a good start a Tynemouth batting collapse cost the side dearly and they were unable to test an improving Whitburn side at their idyllic village ground.

Tuesday, 10th July 2018, 12:42 pm
Updated Monday, 16th July 2018, 4:00 pm

Home skipper Paul Shields won the toss and asked Tynemouth to bat first on a flat but used wicket that played well all day in the baking sun.

Ben Debnam opened up with Nick Armstrong but the partnership was over quickly as Armstrong was bowled by the NEPL’s top wicket taker, Kieran Waterson.

Mike Jones then joined his skipper and the two set a solid platform taking the score to 64 and looking in no trouble at all when Debnam was needlessly run out.

He was beyond the crease but had not grounded his bat. Without adding to the total Jones was then out for 37, adjudged LBW to a straight Yorker from Stewart.

A determined Sam Dinning and a fluent Mark Watt then wrestled some measure of control back for Tynemouth taking the score to 122-3 and seeing off the quality Whitburn seam attack.

However, the introduction of spin in the shape of Mark Elliot changed the game. In his very first over a high full toss was hit straight to deep square leg by the Scot and within a matter of overs the innings was in big trouble at 129-7 following the dismissals of Stewart, Dinning and Hymers.

A couple of lusty blows from Wesley Benjamin and a rear-guard action by the injured Matthew Brown helped the away team to a score of 164 all out but this looked well short of what was required on such a small ground with a lightning fast outfield.

In the Tynemouth reply, Bedja struck early bowling Lee Henderson for four and then he ran out Australian Jack Edmondstone for eight.

However, that was to be the last success for the Seasiders and a fine unbroken partnership of 126 between Phil Bell and Durham CCC all-rounder Brydon Carse saw Whitburn through to a comfortable win accompanied by the occasional strains of “Football’s Coming Home“ from a sizeable crowd by now in the bar watching England defeat Sweden .

Former Whitley Bay striker Bell seemed to enjoy every minute!