Family’s tribute to doting father

Tributes have been paid to a father as mystery still surrounds his death.

John Gibson was found on the roadside at the Rising Sun Country Park near Wallsend after police believe he was hit by a car.

Four people have been arrested and bailed on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving in connection with the incident on November 2, as officers still piece together what happened to the 28-year-old.

Now his family have spoken of their heartache and hurt as they prepare to say a final goodbye to John.

His mother Sylvia said: “Even today it just doesn’t feel real at all.

“My heart is bleeding for my boy.”

John, who grew up in Howdon, had been due to start his first ever job on the day after his body was found.

He had been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and after struggling to find a job, he had been given a chance to work at a factory.

Sylvia, 57, said: “He never got a job. He went on all sorts of courses.

“He was supposed to start a job on the Monday after he died.

“He was really, really looking forward to it.

“He just wanted to provide for his family.”

She added that John’s life had turned around eight years earlier when he met his girlfriend Dawn, becoming a stepdad to her two children before they had two of their own and moving to a new home in Palmersville.

“His life changed for the better when he met Dawn,” said Sylvia.

“She was the love of his life.

“He was an absolutely brilliant dad.

“He was the proudest dad alive. Everybody called him the ‘cheeky chappie’. He was really loving.

“Everything was going well for them. They had a lovely new home. They were both happy and the kids were happy.

““We are just taking it a day at a time now. We will just have to make sure John’s kids always know about him and how much he loved them.”

The alarm was raised on November 2 when Dawn found that John had not returned home from visiting a friend in Wallsend but heard about an incident in the Rising Sun Country Park.

A member of the public had called the emergency services after finding John’s body near Kings Road North at 7.15am but paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

John’s funeral will be held at Whitley Bay, Crematorium at 10am on Thursday, December 4.

Anyone who has information about John’s death should call Northumbria Police on 101 ext 69191.