Girls to face trial charged with kidnapping two-year-old
Two teenage girls are to go on trial charged with kidnapping a two-year-old with the intention of committing a sexual offence.
The girls, aged 13 and 14 and from Tyneside, are also charged with shoplifting dummies, baby milk and a bottle. They also face a new alternative charge of kidnap.
The little girl was allegedly taken from a Primark store in Newcastle’s busy Northumberland Street last month.
She was found in a park in the suburb of Gosforth an hour and 45 minutes later.
The girls, who cannot be identified, appeared at a 30-minute youth court hearing in North Tyneside today.
They are both charged with kidnap ‘with the intention of committing a relevant sexual offence’ contrary to the Sexual Offences Act of 2003 They also face two counts of theft from a shop - dummies from Boots and the milk and bottle from a Sainsbury’s, all said to have been of an unknown value.
They will also face a separate charge of kidnap, this being without the sexual intent.
Neither entered any pleas at the hearing and the case was adjourned until June 7 when the trial is listed to start at North Tyneside.
District Judge Roger Elsey told the defendants they were to be remanded into the care of the local authority.