Harmison at double for 'Shields

North Shields 3-3 Penrith

Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 2:10 pm
Updated Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 2:11 pm

A brace from substitute Ben Harmison wasn’t enough for North Shields as Penrith’s Martyn Coleman completed a hattrick late on to give Penrith a point.

Coleman put the visitors in front early on to give Penrith a lead which they took in to half time.

Lewis Suddick pulled Shields level within a minute of the second half starting, but Coleman quickly restored Penrith’s lead.

Harmison equalised for Shields midway through the half and looked to have won the game for the Robins in added time, but Penrith responded immediately and Coleman levelled from the spot with the last kick of the game.

Shields came in to the game hoping to bounce back from last weekend’s defeat to Bishop Auckland but took a while to get going.

Penrith should have taken the lead just four minutes in, Adam Main’s long-range effort was palmed away by Michael Robinson in to the feet of Coleman, but the Penrith striker hit the post from close range.

Coleman made up for his miss moments later, firing past Robinson in to the roof of the net from just inside the box.

In recent weeks Shields have generally bounced back well when going behind, Gareth Bainbridge came close to bringing Shields level but his effort went across the face of goal.

Ben Sampson then tried his luck from long range but didn’t manage to trouble Stuart Dixon in the Penrith goal.

Penrith were looking dangerous when they went forwards but were struggle to find the target with Matthew Moynan and Coleman both finding the car park with efforts from range.

Shields could have levelled on the stroke of half time through Suddick but the winger’s effort went wide.

Suddick made up for his miss within a minute of the second half starting with a long-range effort deflecting past Dixon.

Shields and Suddick then nearly added a second moments later as he burst away on the counter but he was cynically brought down by Grant Davidson just inside the Penrith half.

Coleman was continuing to threaten for Penrith and came close twice midway through the second half first missing from a couple of yards out before seeing an effort blocked by Ben Richardson.

Shields came close to taking the lead on the hour after Jack Donnison was brought down in the corner. The freekick was floated to Gareth Bainbridge at the far post, but his shot was blocked.

Penrith broke forward and worked the ball to Coleman who burst forward to round Robinson and evade Donnison’s slide to tap in to an empty net.

Shields nearly equalised immediately, Suddick burst down the right-hand side riding a couple of challenges before firing just over the bar.

Shields continued to look for an equaliser and were rewarded for their efforts midway through the half. Dean Holmes’ cross from the left was blocked, but he won the ball back and played in Harmison who fired in to the bottom corner.

Shields should have taken the lead with 10 minutes to go. Suddick worked the ball in to Bainbridge unmarked in the box, but the striker couldn’t guide his effort on target.

Sampson then came close for Shields after good work from Harmison to play him in but saw his shot blocked.

Penrith weren’t content with a point and were creating chances themselves. Coleman at the far post sent a diving header over the bar, before a couple of weak shots were easily dealt with by Robinson.

Both teams were looking for a winner and it was North Shields who looked to have secured the points in the dying stages. Harmison saw a shot blocked but at the second attempt his shot deflected in to the top corner.

Shields just needed to see out extra time, but Penrith were awarded a late penalty. Coleman stepped up and lifted his penalty above Robinson to give Penrith a point with the last kick of the game.