Kings Priory unlucky in semi-final defeat

On Wednesday Kings Priory U15s met Pocklington School in the semi- finals of the Natwest bowl at Percy Park RFC.

Friday, 17th March 2017, 1:42 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:52 am

Having come through two nail-biting games against Liverpool College and Wootten Upper School in the previous rounds the Kings Priory boys went into this game with plenty of confidence.

On a perfect spring afternoon Thomas Moore kicked off and KPS had the better of the early exchanges in the match. Sami Singh proved a thorn in the Pocklington defence early on, gaining ground whenever he took the ball forward.

However it was evident this Pocklington side were well organised and were going to be difficult to break down. With 15 minutes gone the deadlock was broken. Resolute defence from Kings Priory had force the Pocklington fly half to attempt a cross field kick, which turned out to be perfectly weighted for the winger to catch and score in the corner.

The conversion was slotted home and Pocklington lead 0-7. Again the exchanges were even, with neither team being able to find that cutting edge in the final 22. A testament to the strength and physicality of both teams defence.

Kyle mace and Matthew Fairhurst were ferocious for Kings Priory in defence, and Tom Robinson typically scrappy in his attempts to halt the Pocklington attacks.

With the first half about to end Pocklington found themselves deep in the Kings Priory half and managed to convert a penalty from the five meter line into a try. The conversion was taken and at half time the score was 0-14 in favour of the visitors.

What has come to be a real strength over the season for this team has been their ability to pull themselves back into games when they are up against it, and it would need another resilient fight back to get back into this game. As with the first half, the teams traded punches, but both defences remained firm.

Danny Bell and Matthew Smith were resolute in their role of last chance defence, performing a number of superb tackles to keep their counterparts at bay.

In attack, Thomas Moore was instigating the Kings Priory attacks and making good ground, but KPS just couldn’t find the gap they needed in the opposition defence.

Eventually Pocklington managed to score again, but the conversion was missed and the score was now 0-19 with 20 minutes remaining. Pocklington managed to get onto the front foot in the final exchanges and their pressure told with another score 5 minutes from time to end Kings Priory’s hopes of a comeback. The final score was 0-24, but this wasn’t a true reflection of the game as a whole.