Looking Back at the trams
A public meeting in 1879 led to the formation of a horse tram company, running a line between Saville Street and Grand Parade.Â This quickly went out of business.
The Shields Daily News of February 5, 1884, noted the official inspection of a new tram line, running steam cars from the shed at Norfolk Street.
In 1901 the line was electrified, and extended between the New Quay and Whitley Front Street.
The last tram ran in August 1931, and the owners offered to sell the shed to Tynemouth Council.
This and subsequent offers were refused, but in October 1959 the council placed a Dangerous Building Order on the Suez Street tramshed, and bought it for demolition.
If anyone has further information about local history in North Tyneside, please email [email protected]