Looking Back at The Tyne Inn
In 1904 Tynemouth magistrates were trying to get rid of 55 drinking establishments due to their condition and neighbourhood.
George Rix Duncan, defending, pointed out that the Tyne Inn in West Ropery Banks had been licensed since before 1869.
It does not appear on the Ordnance Survey plan for 1858, but the area was not much developed until the Yeoman and Sibthorp families sold the ground to Thomas Jackson in 1865. In later years the Tyne Inn was included with Jackson’s Buildings.
The magistrates did renew the license, although they refused permission for improvements in 1905. They agreed it could be rebuilt during 1913.
The door carries the name of William Parry, who was there between 1953 and 1960. According to his obituary, Lionel Dodds, of Ferry Taxis, began the conversion to a house in 1961.