Looking Back...at the Colonel Linskill Inn
Colonel Linskill Inn, Charlotte Street, was named after William Linskill, of Tynemouth Lodge.
Mr Linskill was the son of a Whitby man who married into the Pearson family of North Shields and inherited their estate. In 1794 he raised the North Shields and Tynemouth Volunteer Corps – 500 part-time soldiers to defend the town in the event of a French invasion. He commanded them until their disbandment in 1814, and was known as Colonel Linskill.
The inn seems to date from about 1830. The shop sign indicates that the picture was taken between 1900 and 1910. On the left is William Havery’s grocery. Beyond the alley is Forster’s boot repair shop and Antonio Valentini’s ice cream shop. On the far right is Charles Samuel Knott’s, the hairdresser’s.
If anyone has information, contact [email protected]