Margaret believes electric shocks led to sister’s suicide

Margaret Hall from Wallsend whose sister Elizabeth Fuller's death was determined as an open verdict at the coronor's court.
Margaret Hall from Wallsend whose sister Elizabeth Fuller's death was determined as an open verdict at the coronor's court.

A WOMAN whose sister stabbed herself to death, fears that electric shock treatment may have led to her altered state of mind.

Elizabeth Fuller tried to commit suicide on a number of occasions before she ended her life at her Wallsend home by stabbing herself 128 times.

An inquest heard last week how the 61-year-old, who had a borderline personality disorder and suffered from psychotic episodes, stabbed herself numerous times, dying as a result of blood loss.

Despite being estranged from her family for many years, her sister Margaret Hall believes treatment given to Elizabeth by doctors at St George’s Hospital in Morpeth many decades previously, may have led to a change in character and her suicidal thoughts.

Speaking to the News Guardian, Margaret, 69, said: “She was in and out of St George’s over the years.

“She went in for a week at a time, then when that wasn’t having any effect, she went in for two weeks, which is where she started getting electric shock therapy.

“Until then she had a very good, working brain.

“When they bought her back she was a zombie, I remember mam being really upset.

“It is supposed to bring the brain back, but she was in there for her own reasons and I think it scrambled her brain.

“From there on she went downhill.

“I don’t care what the doctors or psychologists say, I know she was never the same after that treatment.

“Until then everything was manageable. You could tell the difference in her personality.”

Margaret, a volunteer at Tyne and Wear Archives, said Elizabeth was estranged from her family as a result of her behaviour.

The last time the two sisters had seen each other was three years ago.

“I felt sorry for her, but it was her own fault,” she said.

Members of the mental health team found Elizabeth in her Main Crescent home on February 8, 2011.

Speaking after the three-day inquest, which returned an open verdict, Margaret added: “I think she was really troubled.

“She had the potential to do really, really well, and that upsets me the most, because the potential was there, but she wasn’t interested.”

“I always thought she would do it and she would do it with pills, but when they took the pills away she must have looked for another way.

“I wonder if, as she was doing it, she thought ‘Why is it not happening? Why am I still here?’

“I can’t imagine what mental state she mist have been in.

“I was shocked it was an open verdict, I was sitting shaking.

“I love my life, I can’t understand how she didn’t love hers.

“I don’t know if she’s in a better place, but at least she can’t hurt herself any more.”