Barber who cut Newcastle United star's hair hit with notice
A North Tyneside barber has been ordered to down clippers after Newcastle United star Joelinton posted a picture of himself getting a haircut during lockdown.
The club’s record signing was branded an “idiot” by the stylist, Tom Baxter, after the Instagram post landed the pair in hot water.
It is understood the haircut took place in the barber’s garage.
Newcastle United – which was previously hit by an outbreak of the virus – have vowed to take “appropriate action internally”.
The £40m forward did not feature in Saturday’s 2-0 victory over Everton, and he could face a hefty club fine as a result of the post.
Now, North Tyneside Council has revealed the haircut took place in a premises in the borough and said it will issue the barber with a prohibition notice.
Prohibition notices order an immediate stop to what enforcement officers consider to be unsafe activity, to limit the spread of Covid-19.
Phil Scott, the council’s head of environment, housing and leisure, said: “We have received complaints about an individual operating a barber service from a property in North Tyneside in contravention of Covid regulations.
“The individual will be issued with a prohibition notice.”
Northumbria Police previously confirmed it was now looking at whether the pair broke Covid-19 rules.
“We are aware of a social media post involving a 24-year-old man and a 35-year-old man who may be in breach of Coronavirus restrictions,” said a force spokesperson.
“We will be speaking to those involved and consider any further action under the Coronavirus legislation.”
Barbers and hairdressers closed in early January after England entered a third national lockdown.