Imogen urges others to be cautious of Covid after terrifying experience

A shop worker has opened up on her terrifying Covid experience which left her with debilitating symptoms for a month.

Friday, 18th June 2021, 10:00 am
Imogen Parkinson has shared her terrifying Covid-19 experience.

After shielding during the first lockdown, Imogen Parkinson was concerned about catching Covid due to her asthma but never could have imagined how ill she would become.

The 21-year-old is sharing her story, via the #BeatCovidNE campaign, to raise awareness that the virus is still circulating in local communities despite the North East’s falling figures.

The part-time Sainsbury’s worker, who lives in Shiremoor with her mum, Lesley, and her mum’s fiancé, Chris, had shielded throughout the first lockdown, due to her asthma, but in October 2020 she tested Covid positive and experienced a terrifying month of debilitating Covid symptoms.

She said: “Only a few weeks before the initial lockdown I was on holiday in Dubai.

"Then when I got home in March I wasn’t allowed to leave my house. Shielding was such a weird feeling.

"So, when I could go out for a drink in Tyneside in October last year it was a novelty. It was on that night I suddenly became violently sick with horrendous stomach pains.

“I was rushed to A&E with suspected appendicitis and discharged to rest at home. But, after four days I still didn’t feel right and neither did my mum.

"We all got the positive Covid text within 30 seconds of each other after our tests. We couldn’t believe it.

“I was surprised, but I wasn’t too worried when the test came back positive, thinking I would just feel a bit run down. How wrong I was.

“It was terrifying. I developed such severe headaches I couldn’t move. I’ve never felt anything like it. By day four I lost my sense of taste and smell. I only got those back in February.

“Throughout my 10-days of isolation, I was very weak. Most days I was lying in a pitch-black room because I was so sensitive to light and could barely sleep.

“Two weeks after testing positive, I was starting to slowly recover then my asthma deteriorated. Simple tasks like walking upstairs, taking a shower and eating left me gasping for breath, even when using my reliever inhaler. I felt exhausted and staying awake was a challenge.

“My doctor prescribed steroids to improve my breathing. Antibiotics and another round of steroids followed. Usually, the steroids work right away but for me, they didn’t. I started to feel really scared.

"My friends and family were also shocked and worried. It was weeks after my test and I still wasn’t feeling better.

“By week five, the doctor thought I had pneumonia and sent me for an immediate X-ray. The results came back negative.

“I needed to get back to some kind of normality so I tried phasing back to work. A two-hour shift on the tills was all I could handle at first.

"Over time, short regular walks helped my lungs to recover and rebuild my strength. Eventually, I was able to return to work as normal in November 2020.

“It was a terrifying experience that really made me aware of how serious this virus is. My message for the region is to enjoy life but please, remain cautious.

“I’m extremely thankful Covid hasn’t had a lasting effect on my life.”