Percy Main's bowlers star in low scoring game

Percy Main won a low scoring game by 35 runs against Consett at St John's Terrace on Saturday.

Monday, 1st August 2016, 4:22 pm
Updated Monday, 1st August 2016, 5:24 pm
Percy Main's Barry Stewart batting. Picture by Colin Edwards

The home side’s bowlers produced a fantastic display to back up Michael Phillips earlier half century.

Main captain Barry Stewart lost the toss and had to bat first on a difficult wicket, and they did not get off to a great start as Anthony Hornby was out for a duck, caught behind off a good ball from Daniel Pyke.

Stewart was then dismissed for three as Percy Main were 14-2 inside the opening seven overs.

Phillips and David Anderson battled on in difficult conditions as Consett’s bowlers made several deliveries move off the seam.

The pair looked to rebuild the innings and added 24 for the third wicket before Anderson was out for 14, caught at cover by Robbie Winn off the bowling of Mark Dixon.

Philip Cramman helped Phillips add 22 for the fourth wicket and take Percy Main up to 60 before Cramman was clean bowled for six by Dan Milligan.

Andrew Green’s brief stay at the crease ended when he edged a wide delivery from Milligan through to John Chapman.

At 68-5, Michael Boyd joined Phillips and he was able to help by rotating the strike as the pair looked to regularly take singles. The score passed 100 in the 43rd over. Phillips then brought up a 92-ball half century by slog sweeping Abriham Joshi for six over mid-wicket.

The partnership of 62 ended in 48th over with the score at 130 when Boyd was bowled by Milligan. His 24 did not contain any boundaries, but it was an important knock in the context of the game.

Unfortunately for Percy Main their chances of reaching 150 were reduced when Phillips was out in the following over for 69, caught on the long-off boundary by Winn.

Phillips was dismissed trying to launch Dixon’s bowling for another maximum. Dixon would finish with 2-32 from his ten overs.

Phillips’ 148-minute innings lasted 117 balls and contained seven fours and two sixes as he the innings from 14-2 when he arrived at the crease to 135-7 when he departed.

Mark Armstrong played positively and was dismissed for eight in the final over as Percy Main finished on 142-8. He was caught at mid-wicket by Pyke off Milligan’s bowling, giving him final figures of 5-31 from 12 overs.

Percy Main knew that they needed early wickets. Andrew Green struck twice in the opening ten overs as he removed Kamran Mansoor, caught behind by wicket keeper Hornby for 11, and then beat Andrew Waters for pace with a fast delivery to bowl him for three.

Green was assisted by Stewart, who bowled tightly with the new ball and slowed the run rate. His opening seven-over spell cost just 12 runs as he bowled with control. Stewart would finish with a miserly 0-18 from ten overs.

Dan McGee’s introduction to the attack paid dividends when he struck with just his seventh ball, luring Andrew Forster into trying to cut a ball that bounced more than he was expecting. The resulting thin edge was caught by Hornby as Consett were reduced to 43-3.

The fourth wicket arrived just four overs later as Green was rewarded as he bowled with hostility and pace as he caused several deliveries to rear up at the batsmen from back of a length. Joshi lofted a drive and was caught by Jonathan Prested at cover. The catch was taken above his head at full stretch.

Green, who was celebrating his 25th birthday, made it a day to remember by finishing his 12-over spell with figures of 3-30, including six maidens.

The fifth wicket arrived just two balls later as McGee trapped Milligan lbw for a golden duck.

At 57-5, John Chapman looked to occupy the crease as he took 20 balls to get off the mark as he looked to offer support to Winn, who began play his shots having realised that he would have to get the majority of the required runs himself.

The pair added 45 for the sixth wicket before McGee tempted Winn down the wicket and spun the ball past him. Hornby gratefully accepted the stumping to dismiss Winn for 42. A 53-ball innings included five fours and one six.

Having Consett in trouble at 102-6, Stewart turned to Armstrong and he took a wicket in his second over, with a fast reaction catch off his own bowling to dismiss Paul Ringer for a duck.

At 103-7, Consett captain Chapman tried to play some shots to get the 40 runs required. He attempted to slog sweep McGee over mid-wicket but hit the ball high into the air. Michael Boyd, who was fielding on the deep mid-wicket boundary, ran in about 20 yards, dived forward, and managed to get both hands under the ball, judging the catch to perfection.

Boyd’s catch will be a contender for catch of the season. The wicket of Chapman gave McGee figures of 4-25 from his 12 overs.

The last two Consett wickets fell quickly as they offered no resistance to the guile of Armstrong’s off spin. Pyke hit a drive straight back at Armstrong to give him his second caught and bowled in two overs and Simon Wilkinson then went past a straight delivery from Armstrong to be stumped by Hornby for three.

Wilkinson’s dismissal gave Hornby two catches and two stumpings as Armstrong finished with figures of 3-3 from 3.3 overs as Consett were all out for 107, giving Percy Main victory by 35 runs.

Main’s next game is at Lanchester on Saturday, August 6.