Plaques to mark sacrifice of families in the borough

From early in the development of the project, the idea of placing recognition of the individual loss by means of a plaque on the house at which men killed or died were resident has been under consideration.

The work to contact property owners and residents of those houses still standing has been a complex process.

Now, as the centenary of the outbreak of the war approaches, the project is ready for the first of the ‘blue plaques’ it has had designed and manufactured to be installed on houses in North Shields in the early part of June.

Among the first streets to have plaques installed will be Newcastle Street, where five casualties of the war lived.

The plaque to be placed on No. 22 will recognise Colin Miller Jamieson, a second lieutenant in the 15th Battalion of the London Regiment – known as The Civil Service Rifles.

Working in London before the war, he had enlisted in another of the regiment’s units – the Artist’s Rifles.

Both battalions were a part of the territorial regiment of London into which men of ability were recruited and who were recognised as potential officers for the future.

He was educated at Western Board School, Queen Victoria State Secondary School in Coach Lane and latterly at Tynemouth High School – the town’s newly built grammar school (opened in 1904) providing the opportunity for boys and girls of ability from all social classes to get an education that would qualify them to seek entry to university.

One of ten children, his parents would have struggled to provide for his need for uniforms and extra requirements of a grammar school education.

He went on to become a schoolteacher with South Shields education authority before moving to London.

He had enlisted in the territorials in December 1913 and went to France in March 1915.

Twice wounded, he was reported as missing in action on May 21, 1917, and later presumed killed in action.

He is named on the Arras memorial, which carries the names of 77 local men killed in action in the battle area who have no known grave.

He is also remembered on the Tynemouth High School Roll of Honour boards, which are still in place today in what is now the Queen Alexandra Sixth Form campus of TyneMet College.


Tickets are still available for the next in the series of talks to be held at 730pm on Tuesday, May 27, in the Low Lights Tavern, Brewhouse Bank, Fish Quay, North Shields.

Ian McArdle MA, a regular contributor to these events, will recount the experiences of junior medical officer on the Western Front, Charles Wilson, later Lord Moran, who survived the war and went on to become Winston Churchill’s personal physician.

Tickets, which are free, must be obtained in advance from the Low Lights Tavern, Keel Row Bookshop or the project workroom at the Linskill Centre.


The project’s Information Centre in Front Street, Tynemouth, next door to the library, showing some of its mini-exhibitions, will be open during the holiday weekend and during the school half-term holiday from 11am to 4pm.

The major public commemorative event the project is organising in conjunction with North Tyneside Council to take place in Northumberland Square on August 3, from 10am to 4pm, with a formal service of remembrance at 2pm, will make special provision for relatives of the casualties on the Tynemouth Roll of Honour.

Any relative of a casualty who has not been in contact with the project over the past three years can contact the project office to register interest in reserved seating for the event, or e-mail to the contact address on ther website.


Anyone with information about anyone killed or died as a result of the war is asked to contact the project.

The project workroom at Room B9, Linskill Community Centre, Trevor Terrace, North Shields, is open from 10am to 4pm each weekday for visitors and for anyone interested to learn more about the project or how to get involved.

The address for correspondence is c/o Essell, 29 Howard Street, North Shields NE30 1AR.