An elusive pair of rare birds have made their home on the banks of a popular green space in Wallsend.
Blue flashes of the kingfishers can be seen on an almost daily basis by visitors to Wallsend Hall Grounds.
The birds first appeared when the parks were closed to the public during the Heritage Lottery Funded and Big Lottery Funded regeneration project in summer 2013.
As well as kingfishers, the park is also host to other wildlife not often seen in this area such as sparrow hawks, woodpeckers, squirrels and blackcaps.
The North Tyneside Parks Team is now reassessing the management of vegetation on the bank side of the watercourse to ensure there is no disturbance to the birds.
The park’s biodiversity has improved while the water quality has improved, boosting aquatic life and increasing the available food source of fish and insects to the birds.
The Hall Grounds is a 200 year old historic landscape forming one of the three Green Flag Wallsend Parks.
The grounds were once the pleasure gardens for Wallsend Hall, former residence of many mayors of Wallsend throughout history but notable Sir G.B Hunter of Wallsend Shipbuilding fame.
He bought and then donated the land and Hall to the people of Wallsend in 1916.