Northumbria Police is reminding people to take precautions against adverse weather conditions.
The Met Office has issued an Amber warning for snow in the area from 5pm tonight (Wednesday, January 28) until 11am tomorrow (Thursday, January 29).
It’s anticipated there could be more than 5cm on lower levels, however, in places on high ground there could be as much as 15cm.
However, snow combined with strong winds could see snow drifts in some areas.
Motorists are advised driving conditions may be difficult and to take extra care when driving. If using the roads then driving according to the conditions: -
- Moderate your speed and try not to brake sharply, use the gears instead of decelerate.
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle infront - stopping distances are longer on wet or icy roads.
- Moderate your speed and try not to brake sharply, use the gears instead to decelerate.
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front - stopping distances are longer on wet or icy roads.
- Ensure you have adequate visibility by clearing front and back windscreens and all windows / wing mirrors before setting off.
- Make sure, before setting off, that you have warm clothes, food, water, boots, torch and a spade in your vehicle.
- Farmers and landowners are also advised to make sure they take appropriate measures to protect their livestock.