Tyne are denied as rain stops play

In the middle of the warmest summer since 1976 a real storm blew over Chester-le-Street's picturesque Ropery Lane Ground on Saturday afternoon.

Tuesday, 31st July 2018, 10:02 am
Updated Tuesday, 31st July 2018, 10:03 am
Chester le Street v Tynemouth, North East Premier League, 28 July 2018, Ropery Lane

Thunder and lightening forced the Umpires to take the players off the field and torrential rain and hail then followed and ended any hopes of a return.

This was a real shame as the game was nicely poised with Tynemouth looking to chase down a home total of 207 in 47 overs.

David Hymers bowled Kyle Davis in his first over but then George Harrison and Andrew Smith attacked and had their side ahead of the game at 54-1 off just eight overs at which point Mark Watt took a fine running catch to dismiss the dangerous Smith.

Moments later Hymers had McCann lbw for just eight and the home team were 70-3. with Hymers on 3-36. The quiet man of the team now has 28 wickets this season and 389 1st team scalps altogether in a fine, one club career.

Club Professional Mark Watt got to work in determined fashion clean bowling Harrison in his very first over to leave the home side in trouble at 73-4.

The experienced pair of Quentin Hughes and John Coxon then looked to rebuild against Watt and Martin Pollard who after a rare but very tidy short spell of seam bowling turned his hand to his more usual off spin and offered great support to Watt. A game of cat and mouse was ended when Watt had skipper Coxon caught at slip by Barry Stewart.

This brought Liam Simpson to the crease and he proceeded to play attack around Hughes‘s defence until Pollard forced an error out of Hughes and he was bowled for a gritty and intelligent 22. Simpson continued to attack but he was running out of partners as Watt began to run through the tail with the help of the returning Bedja. Simpson ended on 56 not out off just 59 balls; a fine effort. For the away team the bowlers worked hard and Watt finished with 4-31 off 13 tidy overs. A score of 207-9 at the close was about par.

As the clouds gathered Debnam opened up with Mike Jones but fell to Liam Simpson in just the second over for seven. This was to be the last meaningful action as the thunder and lightening rolled in forcing an abandonment.