Tyne men secure hard fought draw at Bowdon

Whitley Bay and Tynemouth Hockey Club's men's first team earned a draw away to Bowdon at the weekend.

Tuesday, 2nd February 2016, 09:10 am
Updated Monday, 1st February 2016, 14:09 pm
Lottie Gill in action for the ladies' seconds, one of five of the team who were just 16.

The home side started brightly and looked more alert than Tyne, perhaps a reflection of the long journey by the north east team.

Bowdon created a flurry of good chances in the opening 15 minutes but they were denied by Jordan Thomspon in the Tyne goal.

Against the run of play Tyne took the lead when a Stoddart strike was finished at the back post by Alex Belshire, his fifth goal in two games.

Moments later, Tyne’s new player Phil Ithurralde opened his account from close range to double the lead.

Bowdon looked shocked, but on the stroke of half-time they grabbed a goal back with a good low shot from the top of the area.

Bowdon flew out of the blocks in the second half and did exactly what Tyne did to them in the first by converting their first two chances to take the lead at 3-2.

Tyne did not give up and found a deserved equaliser from Stoddart from the centre of the penalty area after good work from Belshire on the left wing.

Both teams pushed hard for a winner, but as legs tired, so did chances.

Another home game for WBTHC Ladies 2nds saw them play Bolton where points were vital for Whitley Bay.

It was a strong start from Whitley Bay and they quickly progressed up the pitch with sharp passing into the Bolton ‘D’ for Sarah Buckton to slot it past the keeper with a great final touch.

From then on they used individual skill and great team work to maintain shape and possession to make it difficult for the Bolton players to successfully break through. A build up starting from defence saw the ball worked through the lines to Cath Pendlebury and she weaved through the Bolton defence to score and make it 2-0.

In the following minutes things went from strength to strength for Whitley Bay who converted their chances from multi circle entries when Angela Crane’s quick final touch put another goal past the keeper.

Bolton did manage to break through the Whitley defence and put pressure on the defenders, winning a couple of consecutive short corners. But good defending with quick closing down from Lottie Gill meant Bolton were unable to convert.

This spurred Whitley Bay on to scoring another goal, this time from a short corner with the finisher being Gill.

Before the half-time whistle Whitley Bay managed to break through quickly, opening up the Bolton defence once again to give Buckton another goal with a composed finish to make it 5-0 at the interval.

The windy conditions and lack of discipline saw Whitley Bay fail to convert further multiple circle entries in the second half and defensively they struggled more than in the first half which gave Bolton the chance to apply pressure which ultimately led to a goal.

The game ended 5-1 providing Whitley Bay with a well deserved and a needed three points to build their confidence for up and coming games as they try to progress up the table.

Other results saw the men’s seconds lose 3-0 to Marton Furness thirds on Saturday before they beat Durham University 3-2 on Sunday. The men’s thirds won 9-2 against Gateshead thirds with another hat-trick for Gregory and four for Pyle. The men’s fourths won 1-0 against Tynedale while the ladies’ thirds lost 1-0 to Newcastle Ladies firsts but the fourths beat Newcastle University.