Warning after ‘Annihilation’ legal high hospitalises teenager

editorial image

A WARNING has been issued after a borough teenager was one of two youngsters hospitalised after taking legal highs.

Ambulance crews and police officers were called to Hillheads Road, Whitley Bay, at 6pm on Wednesday, August 29, after reports of a 13-year-old suffering a fit after taking a “legal high” substance.

He was rushed to North Tyneside General Hospital, where he is currently receiving treatment.

The youngster had been found by Cal Rhodes and his friends, who were walking past bushes near Morrisons in Whitley Bay when they heard screams.

Cal found the teenager curled up, screaming and while he called an ambulance, his friend put the youngster in the recovery position.

Cal’s mother Kelly said: “If Cal and his friends hadn’t been walking past, I don’t know what would have happened. I’m so proud of them.

“I’m pleased my son was there to help him. The youngster’s friends were petrified.

“I’ve read that some people have died from taking this legal high.”

It is believed the legal high involved was Annihilator, which can be rolled up and smoked like a cigarette.

And a short time later, a 15-year-old girl was taken to hospital after taking a legal high in Washington, and is now recovering at home.

Now, as police carry out investigations in to both incidents and where the substances came from, officers are warning people about the dangers of so-called legal highs.

Detective Chief Inspector Ged Noble said: “We want people to be aware of the dangers of taking drugs, including so called “legal highs” and medication not prescribed for them.

“I would like to stress that the use of legal high drugs is not safe and can kill or have a devastating impact on people’s health.

“These substances often contain potentially dangerous chemicals and can cause death.

“Likewise, any concoction of medication is potentially extremely dangerous and it’s equally dangerous for people to take medication which has not been prescribed to them.

“Anyone who misuses drugs, prescribed or non-prescribed, is putting their life at risk and people should also be aware that this risk is significantly increased if mixed with alcohol.

“Anyone who needs advice on drugs should contact FRANK on 08700 77 6600 or visit www.talktofrank.com.”

Acting Chief Inspector Kevin Waring, of Sunderland Area Command, said: “We are working closely with Trading Standards to identify and visit premises selling these substances and will take any action necessary to ensure the safety of the public.

“In both these cases the substance taken appears to have been called Annihilation, Annihilator or some variation on that name.

“It may be being sold as a herbal incense and must not be consumed.”