Warning after gas cylinder fires

Residents are being warned about the dangers of gas cyclinders following a spate of fires.

Officials at Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service are urging people to take extra care around gas cylinders after a number of incidents.

And gardeners and allotment holders are being advised not to keep empty cylinders in their sheds.

Since April 1, the service has attended seven incidents involving gas cylinders, four of which have been in North Tyneside.

On Monday, April 6, two crews from Wallsend and Byker Community Fire Stations were called to a fire in Sussex Gardens, Wallsend.

A propane gas cylinder in the garden shed of the property had caught fire and was releasing gas.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze using two hose reels, however, the 3m by 2m shed and its contents were completely destroyed.

North Tyneside district manager Graeme Hurst, of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Like all closed metal containers, gas cylinders can be extremely hazardous and present a risk of explosion if exposed to fire or extreme heat.

Anyone using gas cylinders should take the time to read the manufacturer’s instructions regarding their safe use and storage.”

He added: “I would also urge gardeners and allotment holders not to keep empty cylinders in sheds.

“These cylinders are very dangerous, especially if stored with fertilisers and other flammable materials, and should be safely disposed of immediately after use.”