Whitley Bay and Tynemouth men's first team put five past Chester

Saturday saw an improved Whitley Bay and Tynemouth Men's team win 5-1 against Chester, despite falling behind early in the game.

Monday, 13th February 2017, 17:17 pm
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 08:39 am

It was a much needed win after two loses in a row in the Northern Premier League.

Whitley Bay dominated the possession during the first 15 minutes of the game with the first chance of the day falling to Simon Miles, who could only force Chester’s Mathew Francis to tip the ball over the bar with a comfortable save.

Chester responded with a chance of their own when Simon Jones stole the march on the Whitley defence and deflected a low shot goal bound, forcing Jordan Thompson in goal to get down for a smart save of his own.

In the 23rd minute it was Chester who broke the deadlock as Jones picked up a rebound off Thompson’s pads and coolly rounded the grounded keeper to slot the ball home.

Whitley Bay rallied after falling behind and increased the pressure on the Chester goal and managed to force their way back into the game and then into the lead just before half-time.

Whitley Bay’s equaliser was scored by Phil Ithurralde, a deflected shot into the corner from a crash ball, and then Jonathan Stoddart finished from close range to take the lead.

Chester started the second half the brighter, pinning Whitely Bay into their own half for the opening five minutes with a high press.

However, this led to their downfall as Alex Flynn found space in behind and was able to run at the Chester defence. He played in Stoddart, who in turn was able to find Alex Lockey on the overlap and the pass across goal saw James Talbot tap home.

Whitley Bay made it 4-1 not long after when Stoddart collected his second of the day with a deflected penalty corner before Whitley Bay captain Jervis Fleming capped a 5-1 win with a goal on the counter attack.

Meanwhile the Ladies’ first team won 7-0 against York.

Following a 2-2 draw the previous week against Sheffield, Whitley Bay and Tynemouth were determined to take three points.

Even though York are currently bottom of the league, Whitley did not underestimate them and they arrived in fighting spirts ready to try and collect some points and get themselves out of relegation.

The opening goal came in the first minute through Joss Plummer after some amazing two touch hockey from full backs through to forwards.

Whitley gathered momentum throughout the first half but many a chance was missed around the York goal and the half-time score remained 1-0.

Following a positive half-time team talk, it was not long before a second goal was scored by Kaitlyn Newby at the far post.

Whitley continued to play with determination and some excellent build-up play led to a flurry of goals, with Newby slotting another far post deflection, Plummer nicking three goals off the keepers pads and Lottie Gill scoring from a penalty corner at the end of the game.

Other results: Men’s 2nds 6 Durham City 3; Ladies’ 2nds 1 Harrogate 1; Ladies’ 3rds 0 Newcastle Ladies 2; Ladies’ 4ths 0 North Shields 1sts 4. Sunday: Ladies’ 2nds2 Bowden 3. The Ladies’ 2nds are in relegation position but played two fantastic games at the weekend against opposition sixth and third in the league.

Off the pitch, Whitley Bay and Tynemouth Hockey Club held their annual quiz night which saw more than 120 people raise over £700, which will help support the club, which is sponsored by Barrier and Wade Financial.