Albert and Burradon lift season’s first cup finals

THE Albert North Shields and Burradon were the two winners of the Standard Security Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League cup finals held at Bedlington Terriers Welfare Park.

The Albert saw off Ashington Grand Street 2-1 in the Saints Shield.

Richard May gave Albert an interval lead, although Grand Street saw a Frater penalty saved by McMahon.

Grand Street equalised when Frater picked up a loose ball 35 yards from goal and unleashed a thunderous shot which beat McMahon, hit the post then rolled along the line and against the other post where Chris Hogg followed up to score.

With the game heading towards extra time Dean Clay headed a winner for Albert.

Match sponsor Trevor Scott, of CR Scott Ltd Blyth, gave out trophies.

The second game saw a much more entertaining final as Burradon and New Fordley beat Newbiggin FC in the SA Randolph Cup.

This game was barely eight minutes old when Burradon took the lead, Stephen Howes setting up Paul Wilary.

However, the lead did not last long. Rob Holden scoring from a free kick.

Newbiggin then took the lead through Ashley Smith.

Burradon drew level before the break when Michael Burn flicked on a free kick and David Atkinson headed in.

Two sedcond half goals from Wilary to complete his hat-trick all but sealed the win, although Holden’s second, from the penalty spot, made for a tight finish.

Jimmy Scott, of Standard Security presented the trophies.

In the premier division, Whitley Bay Cibos drew 2-2 with Ashington RAOB, withChris Woolley and Garrick Collins on target.

Tynemouth Gunner lost 4-0 at home to Blyth Comrades.

In division one Milbourne Arms had a much needed win at home against Earsdon Red Lion. They overcame their visitors 2-0 with goals from Adam Hughes and David Hepples.

Monkseaton Arms’s surge up the table continued with another fine win, this time at 4-0 at home to High Street, courtesy of goals from Mark Allen, Antony Brannon, Chris McAbe and Liam Hudson.

New Delaval and Newsham was no match for promotion chasing Monkseaton Hunting Lodge, who won 6-0. On target were Nigel Morris with a hat-trick, David Nichol (2) and Andrew McCartney.

North Shields Gunner are another side pushing for promotion and they won 5-2 at Rockcliffe Arms. Richard Stretton and Simon Gourley scored for Rockcliffe, with Andrew Robinson (2) Kevin Watler (2) and Adam Burn scoring for Gunner.

On Sunday the Alan Davison Cup final takes place at 10.30am attwo more finals take place at Bedlington’s Welfare Park between Burradon and New Fordley and Whitley Bay Cibos. This final is sponsored by ex league secretary and life member Alan Davison.

Then at 2.30pm Ashington Grand take on Whitley Bay Bedroom in a final sposnored by Reay Security Ltd.