Bay women edged out of FA Cup by Vixens

WHITLEY Bay FC Women went out of the FA Women’s Cup after an enthralling contest at Hillheads when they were edged out by premier league side Leeds City Vixens.

Vixens enjoyed the majority of the first half possession as Whitley sat back, packed midfield and tried to frustrate their higher league opponents.

But for all their possession they did not trouble the Whitley keeper, and in fairness, the home side rarely ventured out of their own half.

On 33 minutes Leeds made the breakthrough, with more than a suspicion of offside.

The ball was played through and blocked by Jade Makarski in the Whitley goal but it fell kindly for the Leeds striker and she slotted home.

It remained 1-0 to away side at half time.

After the interval, Whitley made a substitution and became a bit more adventurous as they started to make an impression on the Leeds back four.

Unfortunately, just after the hour mark they fell to a sucker punch as they lost possession in midfield and a simple ball through to the striker saw Leeds take a 2-0 lead.

This sparked Whitley into action and within five minutes they were back in the game as Jo Suddes, Rachel Kay and Amy O’Brien pressurised Vixens’ defence and the ball fell to Steph O’Brien who fired home from the edge of the box.

After that it was all Whitley as they gained a number of corners and mounted numerous attacks without being able to carve a decent opening.

Leeds were restricted to a couple of counter attacks and the sight of the premier league side trying to keep the ball in the corners with ten minutes still on the clock, gave Whitley Bay heart that Leeds were under the cosh.

Despite Whitley’s best efforts, they couldn’t get the equaliser and the game finished with Leeds winning 2-1 and they went in the draw for the next round.

Whitley Bay manager Andy Windscheffel was disappointed to lose.

He said: “We gave them a close game and the two goals we conceded were both disappointing, however, we gave a good account of ourselves and with a bit more luck could have at least gone to extra time.”