Burradon back on top after edging out Gunner

STANDARD Security Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League’s Burradon moved back to the top of the premier division with an away win against Tynemouth Gunner.

In an even game, Gunner outplayed Burradon early on, but once Burradon’s Andy Wright took control they went in front.

But it took a late goal from Phil Arnott to make the points safe as they won 3-1.

Scoring for Gunner was Chris Appleby. Further goals for Burradon came from Cameron Patrick and Wright.

Whitley Bay Cibos went down at home 5-2 to Ashington Mortimer as both sides chase runners-up spot.

On target for Cibos were James Mobberley and James Milner. Scoring for Mortimer were Greg Dance and Ross Waldie with two each. Michael Thompson added the other.

Newbiggin had a fine win at home against Blyth Comrades as they beat the visitors 5-3.

Goals for Newbiggin came from Darren Burn and Tony Messenger with two each. Steven Sanderson scored the other. Scoring for Comrades was Terry Self, Michael Meins and Steven Bell.

The first division title race has had a few twists and turns recently.

Favourites North Shields Albert were held at home 2-2 by Ashington Grand Street.

Goals for Albert came from Richard May and Colin Dougal. Replying for Grand Street was Graham Buller and Shaun Laing.

North Shields Gunner’s chances of promotion increased with a 1-0 win away against rivals Monkseaton Hunting Lodge.

The only goal of the game came from James D Ridley.

Earsdon Red Lion won by the odd goal in five at home against High Street.

Goals for Earsdon came from Michael Hartley (2) and Daniel Cave. Jason Smart scored both for High Street.

Blyth Seahorse had a fine win away against the Milbourne Arms as they won 2-0.

David Reid scored both goals for Seahorse.

Division two saw the top of the table clash between Ashington Grand and Blyth South Beach.

In a close game, Grand just edged it by the odd goal in three.

Goals for Grand came from Ryan Lonsdale and Luke Bunting. Daniel Day scored for South Beach.