Central once again see off Isabella in tight contest

FOR the second time in seven days Walker Central Reserves edged out Blyth Isabella, this time by the odd goal in seven, to move above New York to the summit of division one in the Tyneside Amateur League.

Walker’s scorers were Sam Grievson, Craig Smith, Billy Thompson and Steven Vickers.

The Blyth outfit are now down to sixth after this, their fourth defeat in five league games.

(FoWS) Diggers United moved up into an impressive fourth in their first season, despite going down to ten men in their 3-1 success at home to Cullercoats Reserves, who drop to fifth.

All three Diggers’ strikes came from Danny Watt, with a sole reply coming from David Llewellyn.

The only remaining division one game saw Gosforth Bohemians Reserves move off the bottom of the table with a fine 3-2 home victory over Rutherford Reserves.

The final remaining first round tie in the John Hampson Memorial Trophy saw all-conquering Winlaton The Queens Head dumped out 6-2 by Longbenton.

Ryan Latimer’s double strike wasn’t enough for the home side as goals from Shaun Bailey, Kevin Gordan, Mark Moon, Jack Morris and a double from David Short saw the visitors into round two.

The chasing pack in division two are keeping up the pressure on Winlaton as both Lindisfarne Athletic and Cramlington Town A picked up three points.

Lindisfarne won an extraordinary game 8-4 at the Rising Sun against Gosforth Bohemians A.

Johnny Storey brought his tally to 22 for the season already by going nap, with further goals for the home side from Ryan Fenwick, Rod Fleming and Ross Seaman to keep them in second place. The away side’s scorers were Mark Envy, Richard Lee, Colin McLauglin and James Hughes.

Cramlington Town A were made to work for the points but eventually came out on top against North Shields Town.

Shields’ Gary Blythe now has ten for the season and his goal was supplemented by John Ball, but Cramlington’s four replies from Mark McIntyre, Joe Salmon, Steve Rylatt and Steven Elsey.

In the Ideal Stelrad Northumberland FA Minor Cup, Grainger Park saw off Westerhope Wanderers 7-4. Heaton Rifles lost by the same scoreline at North Sunderland, and the newly renamed Wallsend United (formerly Wallsend Town Reserves) lost 6-4 at home to AFC Newbiggin.

High Howdon Social Club made the lengthy trip to Springhill Berwick and returned with success by the odd goal in five, while Blyth Town Reserves and West Jesmond both progressed.

Blyth beating Hedgeley Rovers 9-0 and Jesmond seeing off Rushworth & Diamonds 5-1.