Colliers end Main’s winning run

THE first day of September saw late summer sunshine, but sadly Percy Main’s mini winning streak came to an end against a dogged Ashington Colliers side at Hirst Welfare, who in fairness deserved their win.

Recent victories over Wallsend Town, Gateshead Rutherford and Whitley Bay had propelled Main up to fifth in the Northern Alliance premier division.

But team manager Gareth Allen was forced to contend with the loss of several key players due to injury and unavailability and had to shuffle the pack.

Hirst Welfare has become a relatively happy hunting ground for the Villagers of late as the North Tyneside outfit have recorded narrow one goal victories over their Ashington hosts during the last three occasions that the sides have met.

But there was to be no repeat as the home side secured the points to leap frog over Percy Main in the table.

Lining up for Ashington was Ashley Smyth, a player who had graced the colours of Percy Main with distinction during the not too distant past.

And it was Smyth who looked keen to impress and was first to test the Villagers as goalkeeper Rob Rodgerson cleared at his feet and then sent a lofted shot the wrong side of the bar.

It was the Main who came closest to breaking the deadlock on the quarter hour mark as clever play by Dan Quinne in midfield engineered space for Kevin Westphal who fired narrowly past the upright, when with the benefit of hindsight, Quinne himself may have perhaps been better placed.

The chance which went begging may have proved costly and the warning signs were there for the Main as Glen Bolton ran through the midfield unchecked and shot narrowly wide, much to the chagrin of Allen.

But only a few minutes lapsed before the Colliers got their noses in front as Joe Moscrop centred from the left and David Brown converted with ease.

Ten minutes later the home side doubled their lead following a hotly disputed throw-in and it was Brown who returned the compliment by squaring to Moscrop who drilled the ball home past the dive of Rodgerson to cheer the home bench.

A two-goal deficit was certainly not what Percy Main wanted and things went from bad to worse after the break as Dean Morgan was adjudged to have fouled just outside the area, having his name taken for his troubles.

Brown’s resultant free kick, which took a cruel deflection off Dean Ellis, saw Rodgerson beaten for the third time.

At the other end, Chris Doig saw his shot competently held by home custodian Craig Towart, but Percy Main clawed themselves back into the game with a goal out of the blue on 60 minutes as Westphal fired home a thunderbolt into the top corner from all of 30 yards.

Visibly buoyed, the Villagers pressed and Doig sent over a free kick which was just too high for the onrushing Ryan Shave, but the Colliers regained their three-goal cushion as Moscrop provided the ammunition once more, this time for Richie Brown.

To their credit the Villagers never gave up and substitute Michael Durrant added a second on 79 minutes, but another consolation was all that it turned out to be.

This Saturday Percy Main turn their attention to league cup action and face Morpeth Town at home, kick-off is at the earlier time of 2pm.