Controversial decision costs Tyne Met a point as they lose to Monkseaton

Tyne Metropolitan College made current league champions and near neighbours Monkseaton work hard to secure the points in their league meeting.

Only a debated offside decision cost College a point.

With the home side enjoying most of the possession in the early stages, Tyne Met kept their shape and tried to make things difficult, and when Luke Latimer intercepted a square pass he burst through and calmly steered his shot into the bottom corner past the advancing goalkeeper to give Tyne Met the lead after only eight minutes.

Monkseaton were quickly into their stride and made pressure count when a cross was headed in at the back post on the quarter hour for 1-1.

Ciaran Fleming then side-stepped the keeper a minute later but with the goal at his mercy he could not get the ball out of his feet and a glorious chance went begging.

A lapse in concentration saw a long through ball catch out Tyne Met and Monkseaton went in front.

A third was added on the half hour when again a long ball was not dealt with.

After 41 minutes, a flowing move found full back Joe Elrod who split the defence for Fleming to run onto and when he was pushed from behind a penalty was awarded, which Jack Cooper dispatched sending the keeper the wrong way.

Tyne Met came out second half with a little more attacking intent and they were rewarded on 54 minutes when a long pass out of defence by Kristian Sands was brilliantly controlled by Latimer who brought the ball down and fed Regan Paterson and he delivered a neat two-touch finish for 3-3.

After working so hard to get level, some slack marking let Monkseaton gain the initiative and what proved to be the winner on 61 minutes.

Again though the response from Tyne Met was admirable and when Cooper’s perfectly floated free kick was volleyed in by Sands the cheers were silenced when the referee blew for an offside flag despite the ball being flicked on by a home defender before Sands fired home.

Almost instantly Latimer who had a fine game ran onto long pass from Sands and he went round the keeper who done well to force a tight angle but Latimer, chopping the ball back onto his right foot curled an effort onto the crossbar and the danger was cleared.

Tyne Met head coach Marc Nash said: “We’ve now played the toughest two away games back to back and showed tremendous spirit and togetherness.

“To be this competitive with Monkseaton was not possible in recent times, but we’ve made a bit of a statement and I’m delighted with our young team’s attitude.

“To start seven first years in such a big game only bodes well for the future with the experience they are gaining at this level.

“Credit to Monkseaton who in the end won a good match.”