Cullercoats suffer extra time defeat in trophy

CULLERCOATS Reserves were dumped out of the Tyneside Amateur League John Hampson Memorial Trophy in an extra time defeat to West Jesmond.

Mark Delaney and a pair from Dean McCarthy had the coast club level at 3-3 at the end of 90 minutes.

But an Ed Shanks strike in extra time, his second of the game, earned the home side a 4-3 win. Jed Manuel scored Jesmond’s other two goals.

First division basement club Gosforth Bohemians Reserves sent Walker Central Reserves packing in the second round of the competition.

Deadlocked at 2-2 after 120 minutes through goals from John Rendell and Marcus Burn for Gosforth, and Billy Thompson and Sam Grievson for Walker, Nick Chance netted the vital penalty for Bohs as they edged the shoot-out 5-4.

New York returned from Grainger Park with a 4-1 success and safe passage into the quarter-finals.

Kirk Fleming struck for the home side but a double from Billy Simmond and further efforts from Dan Henderson and Carl Farmer saw New York through.

High Howdon Social Club beat Newcastle Medicals 5-2 at High Flatworth thanks to a hat-trick from Scott Dodds, supplemented by Sean McCarthy and John Wyres. Consolation for Medicals came through Ross Brown and John Steel.

(FoWS) Diggers returned from second division Gosforth Bohemians A with a 4-2 win thanks to Jason Smith, Graham Martin, Steve Robinson and Joseph Fluskey. Bohs’ responses came courtesy of Will Wycki and Colin McLaughlin.

The only second division side to go through on the day were Cramlington Town A, who saw off Chemfica Reserves 2-0 through goals from Jordan Watson and Andrew Scott.

Blyth Town Reserves and Longbenton complete the quarter-final line-up, progressing by a walkover.

Longbenton meanwhile were in action in division two, seeing off North Shields Town 7-0.

David Short nabbed a hat-trick with further strikes from David Hetherington (2), Richard Charlton and Lee Cuddihy.

That allowed them to close to within a point of third-placed Lindisfarne Athletic, who were humbled 4-1 at the Rising Sun by Ponteland United Reserves.

Rod Fleming struck for the home side, but counters from Daniel M’Pungo, Matty Robinson and a brace from Connor Powell gave Pont the points.

Meanwhile in the Durham FA Minor Cup, Winlaton The Queens Head went down 7-1 at Bowes.