Diggers celebrate winning Shield final

FoWS Diggers are celebrating winning the Tyneside Amateur League’s first cup final of the season after beating West Jesmond 2-1 in the Tyneside Amateur Challenge Shield at Dunston’s UTS Stadium on Friday night.

A snapshot from Chris Maddocks from the edge of the area gave Diggers the lead after just 12 minutes, and the game remained a tight contest until Matty Hayton beat John Saunders from a seemingly impossible angle halfway through the second period to double the advantage.

Jed Manuel pulled one back from the spot after a handball with just two minutes left of the 90, but Diggers held on despite an additional ten minutes added on by referee Lee May, in no small part thanks to some terrific saves from Lee Martin who received the man of the match award.

Chopwell meanwhile are celebrating the division two title after coming from behind to win 3-2 at North Shields Town, scoring their winner in the 91st minute.

Dean Hall and Danny Harris scored for Town, but John Meadows, Gareth Powell and Derek Waters netted for Chopwell.

North Shields Athletic Reserves missed out on the chance to move into second as they went down 3-2 at Ponteland United Reserves, with Ryan Murphy bagging a brace and Darren Parkes also on target. Liam Climpson and Leeroy Odd netted in reply for Athletic.

Stobswood Welfare began a busy week with a 2-1 win over Newcastle East End. Mark Shepherd and Stefan Townsley scored for Welfare, with Matthew Davey scoring for East End.

Gosforth Bohemian A then ended their season with a 3-1 victory at Stobswood, with star man Gregg Lang netting twice and John Randall also scoring. Patrick Douglas scored a consolation for Stobswood.

Welfare also sadly missed out on a John Hampson Memorial Trophy Final berth after a second semi-final defeat on penalties this season.

Winlaton The Queens Head were 3-0 up after an hour thanks to Lee McGivern’s hat-trick, but Stobswood never gave up and goals from Stefan Tweddle, Rob Baker and Aaron Carruthers earned them a shoot-out, but Queens held their nerve to triumph 7-6.

Meanwhile in the Neville Cowey Cup semi-final, Kenton Bar Community also progressed on penalties, 5-4 after a goalless draw with division one leaders New York.

New York had cemented their lead with a 4-1 win over Wardley on Wednesday, Billy Simmons giving them an early lead before David Ravenhall drove in a tremendous equaliser. Simmons restored the lead and further goals from Paul Jordan and Steven Brown sealed it.

West Jesmond stayed in touch with a 5-1 win at Heaton Rifles. James Tootle scored four times and Gary Wilkinson completed their scoring, with Dominic Hall scoring for Rifles.

Gosforth Bohemian Reserves beat Lindisfarne Athletic 1-0 on Monday, with Tom Forder netting the only goal, but they went down by the same scoreline to Heaton Rifles on Saturday, with Dominic Hall again on target.

Cullercoats Reserves were also in action twice, first securing a 1-1 draw at Chemfica Reserves with a goal from Ira Tilley cancelled out by Anthony Bruce’s strike. They then won 3-0 at Lindisfarne with goals from Adam Hall, Steven Moat and Dean Clay.

Finally, Walker Central Reserves secured a 3-0 win over local rivals FoWS Diggers prior to the latter’s cup triumph. Jordan Robertson netted twice and Shaun Heany added the third.