Dunn goal a highlight of Villagers’ win over Wark

HAVING beaten Shankhouse at home on the previous Wednesday 2-1, Percy Main completed their second home win in three days by seeing off Wark 3-2.

The visitors from the Tyne Valley are in trouble at the wrong end of the Northern Alliance premier division and relegation remains a real possibility, but if they were to show the resolve, commitment and tenacity they displayed today then surely they will be able to accrue the points necessary to ensure their safety.

As has been the case in many games lately, considering this was the Main’s 11th fixture in April, there were a number of changes in the line up.

Manager Jason Ritchie ingeniously utilised the personnel available and sent out a side to play 3-5-2.

The opening goal for Percy Main was not a team goal, but an inspired moment of individual brilliance by Matty Dunn, who streaked away from the visitors defence and buried a fierce shot past the away keeper Aiden Armstrong.

The goal was Dunn’s first for the Villagers and he celebrated with understandable gusto, as his performances of late have merited such satisfaction.

From the restart, Dunn streaked down the opposite wing and put in a decent cross that evaded everyone.

Moments later Malky Morien tested Armstrong with a wicked curling effort that he held on the line.

The Wark offside trap was breached by Steven Shadforth, but his effort drifted wide as the Main ended the half well on top.

Wark’s first effort of note on 47 minutes came after a scramble in the Main area, but Rob Rodgerson was alert to the danger and caught it well.

Mickey Haley then tried a curling effort that Armstrong held with difficulty as Wark desperately tried to hang on.

It was almost game over when Matty Dunn fashioned a chance from nothing and lobbed on to the top of the bar.

However, games change on such moments and on the hour, Wark were level when Matthew McLoughlin’s cross from the right caught the wind and flew in over a stranded Rodgerson.

This unexpected setback seemed to knock the wind from the Villagers’ sails, but a delicious Lee Gray cross, showing all the guile and expertise that befits a player of his experience, left Matty Dunn with an unmissable header to restore the home side’s lead.

No sooner had the cheers died down than it was 3-1. Dunn broke and tore down the right, before squaring unselfishly for Morien to sidefoot home.

Deep in to injury time when John Famelton headed in from a free kick, but the game was up by then and the Main held on.