Ferrier goal secures points for Willington Quay Saints

Willington Quay Saints' scorer and man of match Ryan Ferrier.
Willington Quay Saints' scorer and man of match Ryan Ferrier.

A goal on the hour from midfielder Ryan Ferrier was enough to earn Willington Quay Saints a deserved win in their last home game of the season against a resolute Seaton Burn side.

Quay made a bright start and went close to going ahead early on as Ferrier’s cross was met by the head of Glen Johnson but with the ball destined for the corner the Seaton Burn keeper pulled off a great save to deny the Saints number nine.

Seaton Burn then went close as a great turn and shot from forward David Hewitt went narrowly wide of the post with keeper Carl Henderson helpless to stop it.

Saints front three of Ferrier, Johnson and Ben Senior were causing the Seaton defence problems and on the half hour mark they nearly linked up to break the deadlock, Johnson played a great through ball to Senior who took a touch before firing a cross come shot across goal where Ferrier seemed to be about to tap in only for a great tackle by a Seaton defender to deny him.

Kyle Austin was next to go close for Quay as his speculative effort from 35 yards flew just over the bar with the keeper beaten while Andy Breheny’s low shot was blocked by another great piece of defending from the visitors as the half drew to a close.

At the start of the second half Seaton created the first chance as a low right wing cross found Hewitt in space in the box and his first time was smartly parried by Henderson who reacted first to gather the loose ball with players closing in.

On the hour mark Saints got the goal their first half play had merited.

A long ball forward was flicked on by Glen Johnson and with the keeper running out Ferrier stuttered before sliding a low shot underneath the keeper and into the net from eight yards for his fifth goal of the season.

Stephen King and Mark Henderson tried to add to that lead with long range efforts but both were well off the mark before Ben Senior did brilliantly to get past his marker before his shot was blocked as Saints looked to double their lead.

Seaton pushed men forward with ten minutes left as they looked for an equaliser, and they twice went perilously close to grabbing one.

First a shot from the edge of the box was bravely blocked by King with the ball looping over everyone and just past the post, and then even closer as the Seaton captain found himself in space before firing a powerful shot straight against the post from point blank range.

With just minutes left Saints should of sealed the game as the Seaton Burn keeper spooned a clearance straight into the path of substitute Anthony Bruce, but the striker sent a weak header straight into the grateful keeper’s hands.

That was to be the last action of the game as Saints ended there home campaign with a well deserved win and a hard fought sixth clean sheet in the league this season, which equals a club record.

The forward three linked up brilliantly and on another day could of had a few more.

Saints are away to Grainger Park in their last game of the season on Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

Willington Quay Saints: C Henderson, M Austin, King, M Henderson, D Johnson, Adams, K Austin, Breheny, Ferrier, Senior (Bruce 77), G Johnson.