Forest Hall strike late to beat Willington Quay Saints

A goal five minutes from time from Forest Hall's Lewis Walker gave them the three points as the Willington Quay Saints succumbed to another late defeat.

Monday, 21st March 2016, 10:29 am
Updated Monday, 21st March 2016, 10:32 am

The reverse means Saints are still searching for a first home win of the season.

Quay had Micky Young and Noel Clynch back in the starting line-up after they missed last week’s defeat to Gateshead Redheugh, Mark Wilkinson and Jack Dixon missing out.

On a poor Barking Dog pitch the two teams struggled to get going early on, and Saints were further disrupted when Clynch was forced off with a hamstring injury with right back Stu Duffield coming on to replace him after only ten minutes.

Forest Hall grabbed the lead with their first foray forward as a lovely through ball found Chris Gaffney clean through and he calmly slotted right footed past Carl Henderson to give his side the lead.

Phil Doolan’s long throws were looking like the best bet for a Saints equaliser as twice the ball landed in the six-yard box with no one able to get a final touch as the Forest Hall keeper was put under serious pressure.

Saints levelled just after half an hour and it was no surprise the goal came from a Doolan throw as Mark Henderson flicked it on for Matty Adams to grab his third of the season as he stooped to head home from four yards.

Adams, buoyed by his goal, then tried his luck from 30 yards but his effort went over the bar as the game fizzled out into half-time with the score 1-1.

The second half was similar to the first with the two battling but with no real quality.

Doolan went close with a long range free kick while Gaffney could have put Forest Hall ahead but he shot straight at Henderson from a tight angle.

Neither team had looked like grabbing a winner, but Forest Hall did and it came from substitute Lewis Walker, who cut inside his marker from out on the left before firing a low shot through a defender and Henderson’s legs from 12 yards with five minutes remaining.

Mark Henderson fired a free kick just wide while Doolan fired a tame effort straight at the Hall keeper, but that was all Saints could muster as the final whistle went with another late goal costing them dear.

It does not get any easier for Quay as they face runaway leaders Gateshead A away on Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

Willington Quay Saints: C Henderson, Clynch (S Duffield 8), King, Ramsay, Young, Adams, Breheny (Dixon 70), Chirnside (Ballabanaj 65), Doolan, Thirlaway, M Henderson.