Four late goals see Percy Main end year in style

Percy Main played out their final game of 2014 in style against Wooler as they secured a 4-0 win.

But they did find themselves having to wait until the final half hour for the decisive goals which silenced the home support.

It was not the greatest display that the team have put out this season, but ultimately the end result meant that Main go into the mini festive break carrying an 11-point lead at the top of the Northern Alliance first division table.

They have 13 wins from 16 league games played to date, have hit 49 goals and boast the division’s best defensive record of only 19 conceded.

Despite their current lowly league placing, Wooler had made the Villagers work hard for their 2-0 success in the corresponding league game back in September, while again both goals were scored in the final third of the contest as Chris Laidlaw had scored one, made the other and got himself sent off for during that eventful period of the game.

The earlier game between the sides had marked the return of Davey Surrey to the side, while the most recent encounter had seen the midfielder play a vital part in three of his side’s goals as he put in an excellent shift for the visitors.

It was another changed side which took to the field for Percy Main, which again presented opportunities for others and in particular youngster Jake Stephenson, who was handed a rare start but preformed admirably for his side.

Indeed Stephenson came within a hair’s breath from opening his account for the Villagers with a second half strike which hit the woodwork.

The first half was a fairly disjointed affair with chances few and far between at either end.

Joe Betts found himself caught offside on numerous occasions. There were half hearted shouts for a penalty as Laidlaw went down in the area which went unheard, while Ryan Laws fired over from Graham Allen’s corner and Laidlaw saw his low effort deflected behind in a couple of the few goal scoring opportunities.

The second half was a different affair and Percy Main stamped their authority from the off.

Betts and Laws went close before the deadlock was broken on the hour.

Surrey played a superb through ball for Betts to run on to, but his progress into the area was abruptly halted by Wooler’s Michael Saunders. This time there was no doubt about it, a penalty was awarded, Saunders was perhaps fortunate to escape with a yellow card and Sam Thompson confidently dispatched the spot kick to ease the nerves of the visiting dugout.

Any lingering nerves were further soothed only four minutes later as Main doubled their lead.

Surrey’s left wing corner reached Betts, whose effort was blocked, Stephenson chipped the loose ball into the far side of the area and Dwayne Murray, a recent signing from the now defunct Heddon side, fired home to give Martin Nesbitt in the home goal no chance.

Stephenson then hit the post with a shot from just outside the area which had the goalkeeper well beaten before Percy Main increased their lead.

Surrey’s right wing corner was headed behind and from his second flag kick, and substitute Rob Carr, on for Laws, rose above the home defence to powerfully head home.

With Bollado and Steve Hart also added to the fray, both attempted to get in on the action, firstly Hart fired just past the post and then Bollado, played in by Ridley saw his shot held by Nesbitt.

On 87 minutes Wooler were almost offered a consolation, as a mix-up allowed Kyle Jeffries a run on goal, but he fired narrowly over Rodgerson’s crossbar.

In the closing moments the action switched to the other end as Ridley brought a fine save from Nesbitt who tipped the ball just last the post, but there was still time for Hart to add a fourth for Main, with Murray being credited with the assist.