Howes brace sees Blyth Town win top of the table battle

Blyth Town (white) on their way to victory in the top of the table clash against Red House Farm. Picture by Steve Miller.
Blyth Town (white) on their way to victory in the top of the table clash against Red House Farm. Picture by Steve Miller.

Blyth Town hit-man Stephen Howes bagged a brace as the Northern Alliance Newcastle Building Society premier division leaders made it seven wins on the bounce at second placed Red House Farm.

An own goal completed Town’s tally, with Martin Soulsby and Paul Newton-Eddy on the scoresheet for the hosts.

Walker Central were in front through goals from Matty Hayton and Sam Grieveson against Killingworth Station, who completed an amazing late turnaround to take the points. Lee Hamilton struck twice in the last 15 minutes to level and Paul Dunn netted a last-gasp winner.

Whitley Bay A also left it late at ten-man Rutherford, with Dillon Blake netting twice in the last two minutes to complete his hat-trick. Michael Fenwick notched the other, with Nathan Hepurker and Zak Atkinson twice giving the hosts the lead.

Carlisle City’s Josh Simpson, Dan Greenslade and Craig Cherry were on target against Wallington, with John Paxton hitting a late consolation.

Ashington Colliers beat Hebburn Reyrolle by the same margin, Joseph Bolam, Jonathon Barrett and Jamie Patterson crashing in while Dominic Solomon fired in a penalty at the other end.

North Shields Athletic’s Sean Millington and Scott Jasper beat the Shankhouse keeper to take the points and retain third spot.

A Cameron Patrick strike in the first half gave Seaton Delaval the three points at Whickham Sporting on Friday night.

In the Nike first division, Percy Main were shut out at Wallsend Boys Club in a good, hard-fought game at the top of the table with neither side able to make the breakthrough.

AFC Newbiggin led with goals from Michael Angus and John Bone at Heddon, who hit back to claim a point with two late strikes from Kyle Fradgley.

Andy Malone and Zak Tulley were New Forley’s marksmen in their success against Bohemians, who struck thanks to Kev Bruynson.

A Michael Rankin penalty put Ponteland United ahead against Bedlington Terriers Reserves, with Christopher Hibbitt ensuring the points with five minutes to go.

Martin Dixon also struck in the 85th minute for Newcastle Chemfica as they beat Birtley St Josephs. Garrick Murphey-Collins had put them in front, but a Richard Bissessur own goal levelled things up.

Dan McDonald shot Cramlington Town in front at Wooler, who turned the game on its head with goals from Connor Cowens and Thomas Farr, but David Mason grabbed a late leveller.

Dan Hislop struck twice as Blyth Isabella got their season up and running with a win over Hexham. Christen Priest slotted home a penalty and Daryl Gallon added a fourth, with Sam Armstrong on target for the Tynedalers.

In the Bay Plastics second division, leaders Shilbottle CW hit seven against fellow new boys Lindisfarne Custom Planet. Liam Brooks struck twice, with Josh Hay, Phil Grey, Ross Gair, Michael Brown and Matty Graham sharing the others.

Newcastle Benfield Reserves kept pace with them as Mark Waite, Aaron McEwan, James Darby and Juste Akani slammed home at West Allotment Celtic A, who replied through Ali Scott.

Connor Graham netted a hat-trick in Longbenton’s big win over Whitburn. David Short and Robert Wood added the others, with Jack Fawcett grabbing a consolation.

Chris Chan struck twice as High Howdon beat Cramlington United, who netted through Ben Johnson.

A Liam Grant goal gave Gateshead Leam Rangers three points at Forest Hall.

Goals from Peter Brown, Steve Matthews, Andy Gowing and Anthony Brown had Grainger Park cruising at Seaton Burn, but they had two men sent off and the hosts fought back to leave them sweating with goals from Nicky Hara and David Hewitt (2).

Andrew Brown was another hat-trick hero in Swalwell’s victory over Alnwick Town Reserves, with Daniel Igo getting the other and Kenny Collins replying.

Andrew Breheny and a Glen Johnson double – one coming from the penalty spot – gave Willington Quay Saints three points against Wideopen.