Main blown away by Delaval’s four-goal blast

WHILE the severe gales forecast by the Met Office did not fully materialise on Saturday afternoon, Percy Main Amateurs were blown away by a four-goal blast in the last 30 minutes by Seaton Delaval Amateurs at the well-appointed Wheatridge Park.

This result, which finds the Villagers having reached the halfway point of their league season, shows the team have no choice other than to look nervously over their shoulders at the teams below them in the Northern Alliance premier division.

With a testing trip to the eternally powerful Harraby Catholic Club on the horizon, unless the team from Purvis Park can find some points from somewhere, then a relegation battle may well be the reality for 2012.

It has to be said that the collapse in the final period of the game came as a complete surprise to all watching, as the first half had seen the sides go in at the break level at 1-1.

After a quiet opening, the home side took the lead after seven minutes when the skilful and pacey winger Abubaker Salim tore down the left and whipped in a cross from the dead-ball line that found the unmarked Alex Barham, who stroked the ball home.

It was a good goal, but the Main were not unduly shaken and they came right back in to the game, with Drogs Suabi having a delicate lob from the touchline held just under the bar by Niall Harrison.

Moments later Kevin Westphal’s piledriver from the edge of the box was tipped round the post by an agile Harrison.

At the other end, a series of slips and miskicks culminated in Ryan Shave falling over to allow Dan McGuire a clear run on goal, but the Delaval striker screwed his effort horrifically wide.

Just before half-time, Drogs showed him how it should be done when he brought Percy Main level.

Storming in to the box he exchanged passes with Kevin Westphal, before rifling against the post. Luckily he was alert to the second chance and fired the rebound high in to the net.

Psychologically this seemed a good time to score, but the home management team of Mick Jeffels and Tom Wade were able to lift their side.

It was an even start to the second half, with the Main’s Rob Rodgerson twice being alert to danger in the box and gathering cleanly, before all the good work was undone by a sloppy piece of defending by the whole back line.

With no one taking command and the ball bobbling around, the dangerous Salim stole the ball and fired low in to the net on 63 minutes.

Two minutes later he made it 3-1 with a thunderous drive from the edge of the box that Rodgerson got his hands to, but was powerless to keep out.

The Villagers tried to get back in to it, but were thwarted when Kevin Westphal was called offside when turning in Ryan Laws’ excellent cross at the back post.

Despite two further decent efforts by James Leggett and one by Drogs, Harrison was equal to all the Main had to offer.

Things went from bad to worse when Jevan Jull was red carded for the Villagers after an exchange with linesman, following two successive foul throw calls.

A dispirited Main conceded further goals in the last five minutes when McGuire and then substitute Grant Kershaw finished from close range, to give a ludicrously lopsided and unfair tinge to the final score line.

On Saturday Percy Main travel to Carlisle to face Harraby Catholic Club in a Northern Alliance premier division game. Kick-off at Gilford Park ground is at 2pm.